Things to talk about

PMM1485

Dec 16, 2018
Hi there,
Mum has deteriorated considerably since going into a care home 4 months ago. I try and stay in contact, with either my brother or myself calling each day and the occasional video call. Although they can be very draining on all of us. Mum knows us but has little grasp on anything else. In normal times it would be enough to sit there and hold her hand but with only no contact (home locked down since early September) it doesn’t look like that will be possible anytime soon.
I love my calls but find it so difficult to find anything to talk about or keep the conversation going. She has very little awareness of reality and is totally confused. I try and avoid open questions as don't want to make Mum anxious and at times have simply sung to her. Does anyone have any tips on techniques for keeping conversation going, especially when a phone call is all the contact you have? X

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @PMM1485

I think singing is a lovely idea. As most PWD remember the past I wonder if chatting about youth or childhood would be a good way to go? My dad used to come alive when he spoke about his boyhood or his time as an apprentice joiner or the dog he had as a boy. He didn’t remember much of my childhood but I did and could share it with him.