The phone call just sums it up.

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
So I have just had the phone call for dad's financial assessment for respite. He's still here, by the way. I have decided to take him to the care home this afternoon, after taking him out for lunch. His bag his packed but I haven't yet told him.
Anyway, the phone call. I got all the figures together that they said they wanted. Didn't realise they would also want dad's current account. With it it just pushes us over the £23,250. limit (mostly due to the fact that it went untouched for 9 months while I sorted out LPA). I knew we were close. The woman on the phone was very nice as she explained it meant he would have to pay for his own respite!
Great. So I get this thrown at me last minute. I might as well have missed SS out altogether and just gone ahead and done things myself. Now I am in the position, on the day of dad going into respite, of not knowing how much it is going to cost us, how I organise paying for it (do I inform the care home when I take him in this afternoon?)- not to mention the next time when he goes in July, nor- and this is the really worrying bit- how it affects everything else. What about his day care, and the carers that come in at lunch time while I'm at work? Will we now be expected to pay for that? Will SS simply wash their hands of us altogether (mind you they seem to already have done that)?
It's a great start to my holiday.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello JMU, I'm sorry this has happened so late in the day. We had a similar experience in that we received a letter the day before respite stating that SS could not pay for respite after all. I would speak to the home manager privately and explain what has happened, we paid at the end of the respite period. I would also suggest you keep a very close eye on the balance of accounts, if your dad's finances are close to the limit it may not take long to go over the limit.

Very best wishes to you and I hope your holiday and the respite for your dad give you a breathing space and a chance to relax. X

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
Thanks.
Dad is at the care home now. There was some anxiety after I explained where we were going, but he seemed to cheer up once he saw the view from his bedroom window.
The care home manager is away at the moment. I spoke to the deputy. She seemed fine with the change in circumstances and said they'd sort it once the manager got back. She pointed out that at least now I get to decide when dad goes into respite!
The only problem is now I don't know what to do with myself. I keep expecting to hear dad walking through the door any minute. I have sorted the rubbish, swept the porch and done a bit of tidying in the garden, all in the last hour since coming back from the care home. And now I'm thinking what next!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi JMU

If only these bods from LA's and SS's could just once realise the stress they cause.I'm so sorry you had this landed on your doorstep so late in the day.

Enjoy the respite time.(well try anyway)

Take care Lyn T