The night time lighting issues

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Alan has been getting up in the night and putting on all the lights which is very disturbing as I have to get up and turn them all off because he can't understand the instruction "turn the light off".

So today I have had an electrician in to brainstorm. He is going to quote me for light sensors for the upstairs landing and downstairs hall. They will be placed on the ceiling like smoke alarms and the light will come on when it picks up the presence of someone. It can be set to only operate when it becomes dusk so that I don't have to have the light coming on and off all day and all through the summer. It will also turn itself off after a set amount of time. The light switch will be disabled so that Alan doesn't have to learn anything new like learning not to press the switch. He can press it as much as he likes because it won't affect the light;)

Assuming it isn't going to cost the earth, and the electrician assures me they are quite cheap, then it will all be installed on Tuesday.

Love

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
What a great idea Helen! Hope it doesnt cause too much disruption to put in place or cost you loads. mind you, if you get more rest because of it its worth it. xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Price

The whole thing including two other unrelated jobs is £365 which I think is very good. One of the other jobs is quite big.

It is going ahead next Tuesday:)

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good luck for Tuesday Helen. Will Alan be out?

I still have two light sensors left unpacked. I`ve found we can both sleep well with 15 watt bedside light on all night and an economy light at the far end of the hall.

Dhiren recently told me he didn`t like being in the dark.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Great

Hiya Helen, what a fantastic idea, ive saved your post to my documents so i can remember to show it to Elaine, thank you so much, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I know electricity is different there :)D) but is it not possible to get motion sensors that screw into the light socket and then the bulb screws into that? I ask because I have a couple of those in my garage (only active when it's dark and stays on for 10 minutes when it detects motion) and because they didn't need to be installed they cost me around $10 a piece

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hmm - I've had a look around and apparently no, such a thing is not available over there. It may be because regulations don't allow such a thing - we have wimpy electricity (110v) which is less likely to kill you :rolleyes: All I can find are night lights and such that plug into walls.

Incidentally, I noticed that asda direct seems to have an extensive range of motion detecting "things" such as door alarms that speak etc.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I know they have light sensors in the rooms in the CH where Eric goes for respite..I think they're a brilliant idea.

Now we have the pressure mat it's not so necessary for us..but there was a time when they would have been very helpful.

Let us know how you get on with them, Helen..!

xx

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hi Helen

have you considered these http://www.e-tradecounter.co.uk/p-684-motion-sensor-pir-light-switch.aspx

your electrician could swap your light switches very easily (and cheaply) and not disturb the ceiling with ceiling mounted sensors... probably a 10 minute job (and no ladder)

It will also still look like a switch, and you can over-ride or adjust as YOU want (again without a ladder)

e

p.s.
you could add a dusk/dawn lightbulb (about £9) to make it dusk light only too) - but it aleady has 'light adjustability' built in

Last edited:

stikwik

Oct 31, 2007
Nottingham
i love reading about practical solutions - very inspiring. and i'm a bit of a techy, so another reason why such things excite me :D

a confession - i'm no green-buff when it comes to lights and have my gran's personality where i'm, (in these days terms), very un-green. i leave the lights on all the time as i think it brightens the place up (and burglar deterrent), and our bathroom/loo is downstairs so it lights any of our journeys there in the dark. so i hopefully won't need the special on/off switches... but i dread the other reason for having to wake up - ie having to take him there since it's so far away from our bedroom! maybe it will never happen.. :confused:

anyway, good news is, all our bulbs are energy saving - then i don't have the annoying thing of how long they take to warm up if they're on all the time!

(wanted to find a thread i could say something on...)

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
anyway, good news is, all our bulbs are energy saving - then i don't have the annoying thing of how long they take to warm up if they're on all the time!

(wanted to find a thread i could say something on...)
Oh Yeah!!! :D Lovely post.......I've a wee idea (Scottish language there ;)) I could get into my bathroom, do the needful & out again (including washing hands I might add, but maybe not drying them) before my light is fully aglow!!! (slight exaggeration but close to true!!)

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I don't know if this would help but when my son was at uni, all the light switches in hallways of his student accom were timed in some way so that they switched off automatically. It might be a bit cheaper than light censors and new wiring.