The Long Goodbye

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I think this advertisement is appalling.

As someone living with dementia - I have Alzheimer’s Disease - I am trying to live my best possible life in spite of my condition. I haven’t ‘died’ when struggling to cope with something I could once do easily: I‘ve found a way around it.

Bruce Willis shares with me and many of my friends a dementia diagnosis. The Alzheimer’s Society seems to think that what people need to know about dementia is that, as in his films, it is ‘Die Hard’. I prefer to think that people living with dementia need to be helped to ‘live well’.

We know that there is considerable stigma surrounding degenerative brain disease. Videos like this only go to reinforce all the negative stereotypes. At a time when we need people to come forwards as early as possible for diagnosis, I can only imagine that this advertisement will put people off.

I am dismayed that an organisation that says it is on the side of people living with dementia should think of being involved in such a campaign

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I think this advertisement is appalling.

As someone living with dementia - I have Alzheimer’s Disease - I am trying to live my best possible life in spite of my condition. I haven’t ‘died’ when struggling to cope with something I could once do easily: I‘ve found a way around it.

Bruce Willis shares with me and many of my friends a dementia diagnosis. The Alzheimer’s Society seems to think that what people need to know about dementia is that, as in his films, it is ‘Die Hard’. I prefer to think that people living with dementia need to be helped to ‘live well’.

We know that there is considerable stigma surrounding degenerative brain disease. Videos like this only go to reinforce all the negative stereotypes. At a time when we need people to come forwards as early as possible for diagnosis, I can only imagine that this advertisement will put people off.

I am dismayed that an organisation that says it is on the side of people living with dementia should think of being involved in such a campaign
Well said, @WJG
I actually made the point in another post that it isn't as bad as dying bit by bit every day (this is from a carer's perspective). There are long plateaus. My mum is mid stage, has been nearly 4 years, but we still have good days, I've become more proficient in responding in the right way, that's been a help.
If I ever see that advert I'll turn the bloody thing off as quick as I can.

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
This advert had a clear adverse effect, obvious to me, when my wife, who is my carer, saw it. I am in the early mild stage of Alzheimer’s, and so far, nothing too upsetting has happened since the diagnosis and the excellent help we have received from my GP, local Memory Clinic and Alzheimer Scotland’s fine support worker.
On the other hand, we appreciate the need for the public’s awareness, the problem of stigma, funding for research, care and support, but if an advert is too negative or frightening, people will switch off literally or mentally. I am sorry to have to say this, because what the Alzheimer’s Society does is generally extremely beneficial to all dementia sufferers, and their carers, relatives and friends.

Yours sincerely,
David Joseph

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
This advert had a clear adverse effect, obvious to me, when my wife, who is my carer, saw it. I am in the early mild stage of Alzheimer’s, and so far, nothing too upsetting has happened since the diagnosis and the excellent help we have received from my GP, local Memory Clinic and Alzheimer Scotland’s fine support worker.
On the other hand, we appreciate the need for the public’s awareness, the problem of stigma, funding for research, care and support, but if an advert is too negative or frightening, people will switch off literally or mentally. I am sorry to have to say this, because what the Alzheimer’s Society does is generally extremely beneficial to all dementia sufferers, and their carers, relatives and friends.

Yours sincerely,
David Joseph
I would like to add that most people with dementia, in the earlier, milder, relatively independent stages of it particularly, would hope that they would not become a burden to their loved ones or to anyone else. Once the individual accepts the diagnosis and has come to terms with it, that individual does want to be the best he or she can be, as no doubt do their loved ones.
David Joseph

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I would like to add that most people with dementia, in the earlier, milder, relatively independent stages of it particularly, would hope that they would not become a burden to their loved ones or to anyone else. Once the individual accepts the diagnosis and has come to terms with it, that individual does want to be the best he or she can be, as no doubt do their loved ones.
David Joseph
Well said David, and it is important to hear from those on the forum who have some form of dementia (I personally hate the word) and how the advert is perceived and affects you. There appears to be little positivity about it and I hope the powers that be in The Society are taking note.

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
"... and I hope the powers that be in The Society are taking note".
I'd put money on the powers that be in The Society being more than a little 'surprised' by some of the comments in response to the ad. ...