The little things mean a lot

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014
In a reply to one of my recent postings about emotional ups and downs somone mentioned about taking delight in the little things. Well, here are a few of mine:-

Walking to work on a crisp morning.
Realising that problems at work are simple compared with caring for someone with dementia.
My mum recently told me to go to hell - my swift reply was - at least I will have fun. I do not know where that came from but when I thought about it later it made me smile.
Finding a good book. Having a nice sandwich and reading my book in my lunch break. Mmmm - 'me time'.
Mum is in bed and I am getting ready for tomorrow. Putting my clothes, accessories, etc, ready and realising that it is a nice dress and I am going to look gorgeous tomorrow :)
The tea and jammy toast I am eating as I type this.

And finally....

Mum has gone to bed without a problem. She even let me help her get changed into her nightie and the best bit - the kiss good night from mum. The best delight in the world!!!!!!!!

What are your little things that you take delight in?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thank you for this thread.
Here are some of mine.
Being retired and having time to do things I never had a chance to whilst working.
The smell of fresh mown grass.
Looking out of the window at unsullied snow.
Burnt toast with jam Mmmmm luverly .
The lovely smell of washing esp sheets that have been dried out in the sun.
Crisp early spring mornings

Pepper&Spice

Aug 4, 2014
You are so right Twinklestar we should try and look for the little things that give us joy rather that letting the whole horrible mess of dementia drag us down.
My things also include getting mum to bed easily and in a good mood,
Also a dry bed in the morning - not that often these days,
My two furry boys ( hence my name on here ) who purr and keep me company when I'm blue
My wonderful partner who puts up with my moods, my mum and constantly tells me he loves me
A bright sunny day and sneaking a walk through the park - kicking the leaves about this time if year
Helping someone at work, either colleague or public and getting the most wonderful response in return
Watching the first snowdrops and crocus burst through the ground after a long winter
So many blessings to count but today's is getting mum to come downstairs, the first time for a fortnight :)

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
Here are some of mine. Spending time with my 2 grandchildren of 10mths & 4 yrs old. They always cheer me up & make me realise, life is worth living. I also enjoy talking to my 2 sons' regularly, as we don't live close by. They both have a child each, so I love to hear how they are getting on too.

But as well as worrying about my Mum with alzheimers, I am so worried about my daughter too. Since her baby boy was born 10miths ago, she suffers every day with bad headaches. Some days they are worse than others. She has seen a Dr who has told her to take antidepressants when they are very bad, which she did & said she felt even worse & like a zombie.

She is only 28 & has a lot of health problems since a baby until she was 14. Then had a parathyroid tumour removed. She is waiting for an MRI scan, which won't be for a few months.I will just have to be positive & just be there for her, when she needs it, as well as for my mum.

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
what a lovely thread....... thank you!

here are a couple of mine
1. Referring to your toast and jam, my number 1 is actually the crust of a fresh loaf with butter and jam....don't care if I don't eat another slice of the loaf!!
2. the beautiful autumnal colours - Mum would collect and collage autumn leaves, now she gazes at their splendour reflected in windows on a bright crisp day
3. having worked out that visiting Mum in the afternoon is far more beneficial to us both than the morning, so realising that the quality in our time spent together has increased tenfold over!
4. the last words she says to me whenever I leave......as I whisper in her ear "be good" she whispers back "I love you darling". All the tea in china......

x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp