The joys of aphasia

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My husband's Alzheimer's started about 7 years ago with aphasia which is still with him along with everything else that has developed. Today he couldn't find his watch. In a fairly agitated state he said 'the dog, the dog, I can't see the dog'. Me - the dog's here. Him - No, the dog. The dog's a person like that (using his hands to indicate a square about 6 inches across). It's gone and it goes there (pointing to arm). Me - do you mean your watch? Him - yes, I said that.
Miss Marple, eat your heart out. Incidentally I found the watch in the bag he took to the day centre on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Watchdog! Brilliant - well done him! :)
And you too. My husband's aphasia wasn't at all bad most of the time, and unfortunately the times he couldn't find the right word for something, he tended to not even try.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
My husband's Alzheimer's started about 7 years ago with aphasia which is still with him along with everything else that has developed. Today he couldn't find his watch. In a fairly agitated state he said 'the dog, the dog, I can't see the dog'. Me - the dog's here. Him - No, the dog. The dog's a person like that (using his hands to indicate a square about 6 inches across). It's gone and it goes there (pointing to arm). Me - do you mean your watch? Him - yes, I said that.
Miss Marple, eat your heart out. Incidentally I found the watch in the bag he took to the day centre on Wednesday.

Thank you for sharing this. It has helped me understand what this new phase is with my husband. Now I know. I have found more help here on TP about this condition than from any doctor - At times I feel they are more concerned about experimenting with drugs.

Is any form of therapy required at this stage or is it simply acceptable as progressive neurological disorder?

Last edited:

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Thank you for sharing this. It has helped me understand what this new phase is with my husband. Now I know. I have found more help here on TP about this condition than from any doctor - At times I feel they are more concerned about experimenting with drugs.

My husband uses the nouns 'dog' and 'car' for almost anything. I really have to work sometimes to unravel the context clues.