The inevitable happened

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Thursday of last week mom passed out in bathroom and broke her hip, she had her operation to pin it on Saturday, in a way this unfortunate happening has shown my siblings that the care I have been giving mom has been very hard, they have now seen her in hospital in true form, the last few days have been very hard, but now they all agree that YES I will require additional help when eventually she comes out, that is of course the hospital allows this. Today we are seeing the consultant, and hopefully sometime this week the care people, this time I am going to be cruel to be kind, and stick to my guns, by having any help that is thrown at me, I really don't know much about any of this, yes mom will be self funding, but her well being to me is paramount, my new journey in moms life of caring for her started Thursday night x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so sad your siblings needed proof of the difficulties involved with your care for your mum @Loisand. Some people do like to bury their heads in the sand , don`t they.

I hope life will be easier for you from now if you get the help you need.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I hope you get assessed and you get all the help that you need,this must have been very traumatic for you and of course your mother,Best wishes going forward xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
So traumatic - for both of you. I hope you get the much needed help in place.

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
It`s so sad your siblings needed proof of the difficulties involved with your care for your mum @Loisand. Some people do like to bury their heads in the sand , don`t they.

I hope life will be easier for you from now if you get the help you need.
Yes, it is a shame that they just look the other way, I have been asking for extra help the last couple of months, but just got ignored, now they do have to look my way!!

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
I hope you get assessed and you get all the help that you need,this must have been very traumatic for you and of course your mother,Best wishes going forward xx
Thank you, I am adament that I get the best help for mom, I am thinking positive that all will work out well xx

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Well 4 weeks later, mom has finally been discharged from hospital, along with a hospital bed and walking aids, bathroom aids, rotunda, incontinence pads, carers 4 times a day (2 carers at a time), the future at the moment looks very grim!!! Mom can hardly walk, but at least she can do a few steps, her dementia has certainly took a downward spiral, at the moment I would say she is very likely in the final stage of her journey, I'm hoping now she's home she may pick up, she has come out of hospital double incontinent, having trouble eating solid food so I'm having to blend everything, we have had to activate the poa, was told by the district nurse to get the Respect form in process, so all that's been done. Am keeping my fingers crossed that she picks up a bit, but am not to optimistic about it xx

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Loisland
Sorry to hear about your mum, but pleased that you have been given support/aids to help you both. I don't have any experience of recovery after a broken hip , but hope that she improves now she is home X

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thursday of last week mom passed out in bathroom and broke her hip, she had her operation to pin it on Saturday, in a way this unfortunate happening has shown my siblings that the care I have been giving mom has been very hard, they have now seen her in hospital in true form, the last few days have been very hard, but now they all agree that YES I will require additional help when eventually she comes out, that is of course the hospital allows this. Today we are seeing the consultant, and hopefully sometime this week the care people, this time I am going to be cruel to be kind, and stick to my guns, by having any help that is thrown at me, I really don't know much about any of this, yes mom will be self funding, but her well being to me is paramount, my new journey in moms life of caring for her started Thursday night x

Dear Loisand,

I feel for you as I know exactly what you're going through. My dad is now in a care home and suddenly more interest is shown especially in terms of finances and property. Try reading some of my threads to see what I've had to put up with.

Good luck and grab all the help you can get.

MaNaAk

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hi Lois.....our pwd was in hospital with a broken hip and is now doing rehab.....don't know how that will go as he can only manage a few steps, but needs to be stood up to start the walking, so hardly independent. He thinks he will be all systems go when he gets home so can dispense with carers :( such a big gap between expectation and reality. I hope your mum continues her recovery now she's home, particularly as she has family with her, I have found this all a very up and down journey!

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Hi Loisland
Sorry to hear about your mum, but pleased that you have been given support/aids to help you both. I don't have any experience of recovery after a broken hip , but hope that she improves now she is home X
Thank you, I suppose its early days yet, but at the moment I don't see any improvement, a long journey I fear x

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Dear Loisand,

I feel for you as I know exactly what you're going through. My dad is now in a care home and suddenly more interest is shown especially in terms of finances and property. Try reading some of my threads to see what I've had to put up with.

Good luck and grab all the help you can get.

MaNaAk
I certainly will look at your threads, every little bit of information I gain from all of you will help. Thank you, and you are so right....finances and property go a long way, thank you x

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Hi Lois.....our pwd was in hospital with a broken hip and is now doing rehab.....don't know how that will go as he can only manage a few steps, but needs to be stood up to start the walking, so hardly independent. He thinks he will be all systems go when he gets home so can dispense with carers :( such a big gap between expectation and reality. I hope your mum continues her recovery now she's home, particularly as she has family with her, I have found this all a very up and down journey!
I must admit my expectations were high, then as you say reality slaps you in the face. It is an up and down journey and so exhausting for the carer, especially at 3.45 in the morning, I can only do my best, if my best is not good enough then I will have to go down another route, thank you, good luck xx