The Hospital Is Releasing My Mum - Looking For Some Advice

Katie Tuppence

Aug 22, 2013
Hi All - I'm new to the group and just looking for some advice. My Mum has Lewy Body Dementia & Alzheimers and due to the type of Dementia she has, has really vivid hallucinations. She was admitted to hospital 6 weeks ago as she was really confused and afraid and could not stand being at home and thus spent her days walking around the streets. She ended up being sectioned as she was initially constantly trying to escape. Mums consultant has now indicated that she has responded to treatment, has calmed down heaps and is now ready to go home. The problem is my stepdad who is 71 is concerned that he is not going to be able to cope with Mum being back at home full time. They also live in a house over 3 storeys and I'm concerned for her safety. Just looking for some advice on what our options are........

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I share your concerns and the hospital has a duty of care to make sure your mum's discharge is safe. Ask to see the OT to discuss your concerns before discharge, ther eis also something called the REACT team who deal with safe discharge, ask to meet them.

Bumblegirl

Nov 17, 2012
They can only discharge home if you accept the discharge. If you explain your dad needs support and to discuss how he is expected to cope and ask that the discharge is delayed pending these discussions.

My mum was sectioned and we had a best interests meeting before she was discharged (in our case to a nursing home). An OT saying she is ready to go is really of little consequence. It has to be the consultant in discussion with the family and other agencies (social worker, CPN).

You just need to refuse to take her yet, pending a support package. They will discharge if you're happy to accept- just make sure that if you and your step dad accept, you are indeed happy to do so. Once she is out, you'll be left to get on with it. If you insist on support packages being in place prior to taking her home, they will pull their finger out and arrange everything so they can discharge. Once she is gone (and freeing up a bed), you won't hear from them for dust.
Good luck
BG

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Noorza - it was the OT that recommended her discharge, but will ask to speak with him

I have experienced where the OT has been instructed from the top to "bed cull" when they don't agree with it. One Easter Thursday they were discharging on the top dogs orders whether people were safe or not to keep staffing levels down for the weekend.

If you have concerns about discharge put them in writing, I thanked the nursing staff for their excellent care but noted that that management instructions were making an unsafe discharge and not following their duty of care for a safe one.

Everything changed then.

If you have any concerns contact PALS at the hospital they will help you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels