The fightback begins here!

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by Soroptimist, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Cazzita

Cazzita Registered User

May 12, 2018
    Thanks for this link! Let's keep writing and demanding change!

2. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    Than
    Thanks,I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 months ago so I have had a lot on my mind, a lot of us are in a poor situation one way or another,we have to plod on.

3. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    Reply from our MP's PA today, after raising the House of Lords report and explainging a few things:

Dear XX,

Thank you for your email back to Esther and the explanation of where you are now up to.
    Esther has raised your experiences directly with the Department of Health and Social Care, you so eloquently articulate the challenges you face both because your Mum needs care and because you are providing it.
    Once we get a response, Esther will come back to you herself with that.

In the meantime, please let me know if there is anything, other than lobby Government, that we can do to help.

Thank you

4. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    It will be interesting to see what the reply is

5. Soroptimist

Soroptimist Registered User

Jun 10, 2018
    Great news, good work!!
    I'm still battling with my mum's MP as she is refusing to respond as I am not her constituent, even though I am acting on behalf of my mum and the POA has been registered with the Office of the Public Guardian. I think this should be classed as discrimination, as effectively my mum does not have a voice.

6. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    I agree !

7. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    I think you're right the person that has dementia can't complain,they can have their home sold from under their nose,it's as if they don't exist

8. budda

budda Registered User

May 18, 2012

My father has lived with dementia for 10 years and is now, age 90, in the later stages.of the disease . In this time I have cared for him and nearly made myself ill whilst looking after family and trying to keep a business going . I had to find a ‘care’ home for him 6 years ago as I could no longer cope. We have had so many issues with the homes . He is now in his 3rd and hopefully final place. In his last ‘Care’ Home he was assaulted by another resident twice, quite violently, and abused by staff . For the last 9 months I have been my father’s voice trying to get some justice for his poor care. He was once a fit and highly intelligent man and doesn’t deserve to be treated like this. We have complained to the home, the CQC , his social worker , the ombudsman’ with little result or recompense for my fathers welfare. The head of the social care/ safeguarding team told me my Dad wouldn’t remember the abuse so not to get upset ........ All this costs money and it is on top of the thousands of pounds a month that my dad has to pay as he is self funding . If he had any other type of illness we would get help with his funding and it would be possible to find support for his poor care. I have spent years trying to get care and help for Dad only to run round in circles . I truly hope the recent publicity brings about a change and others don’t have to suffer as my father and our family have .
    He is now in a nursing home where the staff are wonderful and the care is excellent. The fees are now over £5000 a month. I left him today, so frail, hardly able to see, and shouting away in his terribly tortured world. Hopefully with more people speaking out and describing life with dementia and all the issues that arise it will no longer be brushed under the carpet. It must be the most devastating disease that impacts both the person and family and I hope in the near future it gets the support, funding and understanding it deserves.

9. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    ((((((Hugs)))))))
    Doesn’t get easier emotionally does it.

10. Soroptimist

Soroptimist Registered User

Jun 10, 2018
    "The head of the social care/ safeguarding team told me my Dad wouldn’t remember the abuse so not to get upset ..." That is really shocking - if the head of the team thinks like this then it will trickle down to the rest of the team. You sound like you have had lots of fights on your hands with powers that be - I'm glad you have finally found a place for your dad where there is a supportive environment. I am so angry at the way dementia is treated.

11. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    Thank you for sharing this experience, I hope your dad has a better experience from now on. This scenario of complaints and warnings being ignored reminds me of the events at Mid Staffordshire. Does the care system ever really learn lessons?

12. myss

myss Registered User

Jan 14, 2018
    I cannot offer any solutions/tips but wanted to wish you the best {{{Budda}}}

13. SoAlone

SoAlone Registered User

May 19, 2016
    Female
    Devon
    A great letter and glad you have received a positive response. My OH is now in a Nursing Home, but I experienced all the same problems with GP's and Social Services plus local hospital to get to this point. My OH would not eat or drink. GP's don't want to visit because they see it as a mental health issue. One from local surgery even walked out because my husband was agitated, I was furious and let him know on the doorstep exactly what I thought. Mental health services said it was GP's province, not eating and drinking. Oh and Social Services didn't want to know in case it cost them anything. Befriending/Visiting wouldn't help because of the agitation, they rightly, didn't want to put volunteers at risk. Many times the only route was to call paramedics. This eventually resulting in a very weak and frail OH being sectioned and because, and only because, I said 'I cant do this anymore' he was found a place in an NHS Assessment Centre, where wonderful staff managed just, to save his life. That wasn't the end as then the fight begins through Best Interest Meetings, because we didn't have POA to find the right placement and care.