The end of a brief reprieve…

Tuesdays-Child

Apr 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Hi, TP. I’m posting again, by now you can probably guess why…

Yep, my grandma came round to the house again! No prizes for the winners, though perhaps that’d make all this easier to deal with :rolleyes:

She’d come round once already (though unusually, I’d not heard her ring the doorbell or knock, but had only seen her walking up the road afterwards). The second time, she came round just as my mum was getting ready for an awards ceremony that my younger sister was being honoured at. She’d rang to tell Grandma about this beforehand, but of course, this was ignored. Grandma said that she knew she was going out and that was why she’d come round when she did, but I highly doubt this.

Despite the baking temperatures outside, she wearing her usual winter coat. When mum inevitably questioned her on this, she said she’d put it on because she thought it was going to rain(!). Mum understandably got very frustrated at this, at one point asking her point blank “Does it look like rain?!” It’s important to note that this isn’t the first time Grandma appears to have done things that aren’t in keeping with the weather conditions - a few days ago mum said that she’d had the fire on when she’d gone in to check on her. From all accounts though, it doesn’t seem as if she’s dehydrated.

The purpose of her visit - if there even was one - was clear. As ever, she was confused about old letters, that she said she’d kept in her bag “in case she needed to show the doctors”. Mum’s got into arguments with her when it came to discarding these before, so this time she gave it back to her with the dates crossed out.

Another key point from today was her fixation on giving me and my sister “pocket money”; something she stopped doing a long time ago, at least with real coins. I would’ve declined, but to save another argument I just accepted it. It came to 50p for each of us, divided into unequal coins (one 50p piece, and two 20ps and a 10p) but after she’d made me take them her line of questioning until she left was constantly about whether she’d given us money, or whether we’d taken it. Going back to issues covered in my other, longer thread, I can definitely see her short term memory getting worse through incidents like this.

More generally, her tone at points was very childlike - one time, when Mum asked for her to put various coins back in her purse, she said “no” in a way that sounded like a toddler. Again, mum’s mentioned some mental regression before, which is something I’m also increasingly worried about.

Mum did try to explain my sister’s award ceremony, and the fact she’s now 16 and moving onto A-Levels, but Grandma seemed to almost completely ignore that in favour of going back to her usual delusions (people coming into her house at night, who she now defends against with a “pepper pot” rather than a broom or her husband’s old truncheon) alongside her imaginary nighttime routine.

Oh, and she also popped back in 5 minutes later, asking if she’d left her red handbag. She wasn’t even carrying a bag with her. o_O

I’ve said this before, and know it’s not the right thing to feel, but as I said very plainly to my parents before they left tonight, I’m left with two constant feelings: helplessness and hate. Living week to week just seems like a plaster on a much bigger wound, and coupled with the fact this woman is a source of anger like my grandma never was, it can be difficult to cope with.

In any case, my parents’ outing means I’ve now got the house to myself for a few hours. Hopefully I can finally finish that fanfiction I’ve been writing for weeks! :D

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Tuesday's-Child,

I know it's difficult but sometimes you have to go with the flow because you can't argue with dementia. If your grandma gives you pocket money you could always sneak it back to her however I'm worried that she could one day get lost whilst going between your house and hers so I recommend that you think about getting carers. This should give you all some sort of break.

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017

Yep, my grandma came round to the house again! No prizes for the winners, though perhaps that’d make all this easier to deal with :rolleyes:

She’d come round once already (though unusually, I’d not heard her ring the doorbell or knock, but had only seen her walking up the road afterwards). The second time, she came round just as my mum was getting ready for an awards ceremony that my younger sister was being honoured at. She’d rang to tell Grandma about this beforehand, but of course, this was ignored. Grandma said that she knew she was going out and that was why she’d come round when she did, but I highly doubt this.

Despite the baking temperatures outside, she wearing her usual winter coat. When mum inevitably questioned her on this, she said she’d put it on because she thought it was going to rain(!). Mum understandably got very frustrated at this, at one point asking her point blank “Does it look like rain?!” It’s important to note that this isn’t the first time Grandma appears to have done things that aren’t in keeping with the weather conditions - a few days ago mum said that she’d had the fire on when she’d gone in to check on her. From all accounts though, it doesn’t seem as if she’s dehydrated.

The purpose of her visit - if there even was one - was clear. As ever, she was confused about old letters, that she said she’d kept in her bag “in case she needed to show the doctors”. Mum’s got into arguments with her when it came to discarding these before, so this time she gave it back to her with the dates crossed out.

Another key point from today was her fixation on giving me and my sister “pocket money”; something she stopped doing a long time ago, at least with real coins. I would’ve declined, but to save another argument I just accepted it. It came to 50p for each of us, divided into unequal coins (one 50p piece, and two 20ps and a 10p) but after she’d made me take them her line of questioning until she left was constantly about whether she’d given us money, or whether we’d taken it. Going back to issues covered in my other, longer thread, I can definitely see her short term memory getting worse through incidents like this.

More generally, her tone at points was very childlike - one time, when Mum asked for her to put various coins back in her purse, she said “no” in a way that sounded like a toddler. Again, mum’s mentioned some mental regression before, which is something I’m also increasingly worried about.

Mum did try to explain my sister’s award ceremony, and the fact she’s now 16 and moving onto A-Levels, but Grandma seemed to almost completely ignore that in favour of going back to her usual delusions (people coming into her house at night, who she now defends against with a “pepper pot” rather than a broom or her husband’s old truncheon) alongside her imaginary nighttime routine.

Oh, and she also popped back in 5 minutes later, asking if she’d left her red handbag. She wasn’t even carrying a bag with her. o_O

I’ve said this before, and know it’s not the right thing to feel, but as I said very plainly to my parents before they left tonight, I’m left with two constant feelings: helplessness and hate. Living week to week just seems like a plaster on a much bigger wound, and coupled with the fact this woman is a source of anger like my grandma never was, it can be difficult to cope with.

In any case, my parents’ outing means I’ve now got the house to myself for a few hours. Hopefully I can finally finish that fanfiction I’ve been writing for weeks! :D

Your grandma can't help it, she has some kind of dementia and explaining things to her is a waste of time. She can't process the information. She will carry on doing this until there is some kind of crisis. There probably is no purpose to her visits just a compulsion in her mind to do so

Wearing the wrong kind of clothing is very common with dementia, she really doesn't understand the weather any more. I know she appears to be a nuisance but she can't help it, her mind is confused and that is why she is angry.

I feel sympathy for you and your family but your grandma has an illness and she will not get better. She needs help and someone has to provide it, if your family are unable then the social services need to be informed. Her state of mind sounds very fragile and I fear your grandma is at risk with all of this coming and going. Her illness means that she needs to be priority in this case. Something may happen if she is allowed to carry on like this. I feel very sorry for her, she needs help.

Tuesdays-Child

Apr 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Dear Tuesday's-Child,

I know it's difficult but sometimes you have to go with the flow because you can't argue with dementia. If your grandma gives you pocket money you could always sneak it back to her however I'm worried that she could one day get lost whilst going between your house and hers so I recommend that you think about getting carers. This should give you all some sort of break.

MaNaAk

Hi MaNaAk. Sneaking it back has worked sometimes, but again, I took it this time to avoid a flare up. As for the carers, this is something she currently won’t accept as in her mind she’s completely fine.

-TC x

Tuesdays-Child

Apr 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Your grandma can't help it, she has some kind of dementia and explaining things to her is a waste of time. She can't process the information. She will carry on doing this until there is some kind of crisis. There probably is no purpose to her visits just a compulsion in her mind to do so

Wearing the wrong kind of clothing is very common with dementia, she really doesn't understand the weather any more. I know she appears to be a nuisance but she can't help it, her mind is confused and that is why she is angry.

I feel sympathy for you and your family but your grandma has an illness and she will not get better. She needs help and someone has to provide it, if your family are unable then the social services need to be informed. Her state of mind sounds very fragile and I fear your grandma is at risk with all of this coming and going. Her illness means that she needs to be priority in this case. Something may happen if she is allowed to carry on like this. I feel very sorry for her, she needs help.

Hi, Duggiesgirl. We all completely understand what dementia is doing, but we’re in a major pickle at the moment as social services won’t do anything, as they’ve said she still has capacity. However, I am worried too, and as bad as this may sound, hope something catastrophic will happen so they’re finally able to see how this is affecting her.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi, Duggiesgirl. We all completely understand what dementia is doing, but we’re in a major pickle at the moment as social services won’t do anything, as they’ve said she still has capacity. However, I am worried too, and as bad as this may sound, hope something catastrophic will happen so they’re finally able to see how this is affecting her.

Has she been diagnosed yet as I believe they have to act if someone is at risk. You may need to tell them that you bear no responsibility towards her and that she is vulnerable for them to act. I am not sure how it works but hopefully someone else will. I am sure they have a responsibility toward her as she is a danger to herself at the moment by the sounds of it.

They do have a responsibility towards a vulnerable adult but may need reminding.

Tuesdays-Child

Apr 15, 2018
Derbyshire
Has she been diagnosed yet as I believe they have to act if someone is at risk. You may need to tell them that you bear no responsibility towards her and that she is vulnerable for them to act. I am not sure how it works but hopefully someone else will. I am sure they have a responsibility toward her as she is a danger to herself at the moment by the sounds of it.

They do have a responsibility towards a vulnerable adult but may need reminding.

She’s been diagnosed with dementia for about 4 years, but it’s been getting a lot worse over the last 2. We’ve not really been getting anywhere with social services, as people are spotty in contact and neither of my parents want to go through a potentially lengthy and arduous process.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi

I apologise if this has already been tried or suggested, but have you considered keeping a diary/log of things your grandma has done (or not done)?

As others have highlighted in other posts, when someone from social services etc do assessments, they are not always able to pick up on what the PWD is really like.

By logging down instances where your grandma has done something that you consider put herself or others at risk, together with any actions that were needed to resolve the situation, you would be able to provide a more tangible account of the risks (or potential risks)?

It's worth keeping copies of anything you do provide, along with noting who you've given it to.

Good luck.
Phil

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hello there
Ive not posted on your thread before so hope you dont mind me chipping in. I do understand how frustrating this can seem but please try to understand that it is the dementia that is causing your Gran's behaviour. As you've sadly discovered, it plays havoc with the brain and what may be - understandably - irrational and annoying to you, is very real to her. Patience (very difficult I know) and compassion will be required. I'm sure you'd like to help your Gran so I'm afraid you will have to keep on and on at Social Services. Tell them she is a VULNERABLE lady who is AT RISK. (sorry, not shouting(!) but stressing those important words) Insist they assess her. Ask her GP for written confirmation of her diagnosis if necessary. As another member said, document incidents - anything to support your request for help for this poor lady who is very ill and will only get worse. I know it's so difficult for you all but getting some real help will only benefit your poor gran and all of you. Kind Regards and best wishes.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
She’s been diagnosed with dementia for about 4 years, but it’s been getting a lot worse over the last 2. We’ve not really been getting anywhere with social services, as people are spotty in contact and neither of my parents want to go through a potentially lengthy and arduous process.
I am so sorry this is happening, sweetheart. I do understand about arduous process but if we want help we have to jump through these awful hoops or nothing happens or something catastrophic happens and our heads get done in waiting for it. The only way out of this is to take action of some kind with the social services. I am so sorry, this is horrible situation for you all. Geraldine with love, aka kindred.xxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018

Sweetheart, I've been thinking about you and I know you appreciate straight talking. Dementia is madness although it presents, as madness does, as perversity or deliberate provocation. Our challenge is to understand the difference. Official folk will appear to be more concerned about the rights of the one with dementia than with the family. Yes, we have rights too, but I'm afraid we have to fight for them every inch of the way and jump through hoops. Those with dementia cannot fight for their rights, so officialdom will fight for them and it can often to us seem unbalanced and unfair.
that said, it is important for your family to start to jump through these hoops with social services, to keep on presenting them with the vulnerable person she is, and that your family cannot provide the solution.
with warmest wishes, Geraldine aka kindred.

Blondee

May 12, 2018
I and I’m sure most other people on here understand your frustration. It’s an awful situation and the only way beyond it is to seek help from social services. They have a duty to step in but it sounds in your gran’s case that it will take a bit of work to get them to do that. As others have said, you need to document what’s happening - not just her coming round to your house but what you see her doing on a daily basis when you and/or your mum are at her house as I’m sure you will be. There’s no point arguing with her. Dementia is a terrible illness and her anger is probably a sign that she is frightened and doesn’t know what’s happening. The best way to help dementia sufferers is to reassure them. That’s what they need. Her giving you 50p pocket money just means that for that moment she is living in the time when she would have done that. I know you will inevitably worried for your mum who will be distraught by these events. I remember the frustration, impatience and downright anger I felt when my mum was caring for my gran with dementia. Now I’m caring for my mum in the same situation I can understand it a bit better.