The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
How did the shadowing go over the last week? Did you get some feedback?
Glad that pooch is back to snuggling even if it might be a bit toasty at the moment.
I am rather pessimistic and expecting a second wave later as well. I am sorry that this means you are less likely to see youngest. That must be really tough so sending
you some virtual hugs ??? as a very poor substitute

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I too think there is likely to be a second wave. I went for a walk today and the route took a bridge over the local A road. The traffic looked as busy as before the lockdown and with a large number of motorhomes and caravans.................

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I've met up with a couple of people, both times it was just one friend in my garden sat very far apart! One person bought her own drink and the other did allow me to make her a cup of tea but use her own cup. It went against the grain but I did not offer any food as I knew they would not accept a piece. I cleaned my downstairs toilet and put out some paper towels but it was not needed.

I don't know how I feel about increasing visits to more than one person, social distancing is so difficult in groups.

The country seems split between those going hell for leather out of lockdown and those continuing to keep apart.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It just seems logical that as soon as people are allowed out again, they will mix with different people and it will all start up again @Woo2 It has been slightly relaxed and suddenly social distancing is no longer evident :(

I don’t understand the attitude either, it’s human nature to do more fir people who are pleasant and really push to do even more fir those that are nice. Nowt as queer as folk :rolleyes:

Pooch and I are settling into a relaxed routine now I’m working most evenings. I poodle about in the morning, then we sit outside for an hour or so. I read and he lazes in the sun ... shade .. sun. It’s not so bad lol

Hope things are settling for you

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The shadowing was ok @Bikerbeth , now I wait to see if they can “match“ me with someone. They did say it can take a few weeks, so don’t give up your day job lol

People seem to fall into groups. There are the hyper vigilant “don't come near me” group, who are ridiculed. Then there’s the careful “I’m keeping away from people” ones who go out, but don’t mix unless there is plenty of space and then there’s the “it’s a hoax” lot who seem to take great pleasure in getting as close to everyone as they can and laughing at the reactions. I’m finding essential shopping very stressful. It’s totally different when in uniform ... people part like the Red Sea ?

It’s hard not seeing youngest, but it would kill me if anything happened to them and I might be the cause. I can see me taking off fir a month when it’s safe, just to look at them and hug the life out if them all.

Thanks for the hugs, much appreciated ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Exactly @canary ... the traffic has more or less returned to normal. The number of people walking along the seafront and shopping is incredible. What I do not understand is the hurry they all seem to be in

At least the motorhomes and caravans have their own facilities ... public loos are not open yet!!! I had a discussion with someone about that yesterday. They were saying the public loos need to be opened ... I was saying “who cleans them and why should they be at higher risk of outside germs coming in”

Every loosening needs to be thought out fully ...

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The country seems split between those going hell for leather out of lockdown and those continuing to keep apart.

I’ve met with a friend, social distancing was discussed before I agreed and it worked ok, but I am surprised at the things people don’t think of.

We had a BBQ, all bought our own chairs, cutlery and crockery, own glasses and drinks. We sat in a very large circle, about ten foot apart and chatted. It was lovely. The distancing thing is pretty normal to us here, so it was very relaxed.

Yes, very much two distinct groups ..

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
It just seems logical that as soon as people are allowed out again, they will mix with different people and it will all start up again @Woo2 It has been slightly relaxed and suddenly social distancing is no longer evident :(

I don’t understand the attitude either, it’s human nature to do more fir people who are pleasant and really push to do even more fir those that are nice. Nowt as queer as folk :rolleyes:

Pooch and I are settling into a relaxed routine now I’m working most evenings. I poodle about in the morning, then we sit outside for an hour or so. I read and he lazes in the sun ... shade .. sun. It’s not so bad lol

Hope things are settling for you
Sounds like you have it down to a t, enjoy the sun and and read . :)

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
There are 3 groups here as you described earlier . The roads are a lot busier today :( Even mil who is shielding fil is talking about going out , we have told them firmly they can go for a drive locally but are to stay in the car and absolutely not come in to contact with anyone or touch any surfaces, worries me and hubby terribly.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It just seems logical that as soon as people are allowed out again, they will mix with different people and it will all start up again @Woo2 It has been slightly relaxed and suddenly social distancing is no longer evident

Maybe not at a high rate in the near future, the population is no longer naive.
The R number is not R
0 (UK estimate of ~3 although other sources say
4+) it is a value derived from data a few days old.

What do your models say about the risk of a second wave?
The models support the idea that what happens in the next few weeks is not going to have a great impact in terms of triggering a rebound – because the population is protected to some extent by immunity acquired during the first wave. The real worry is that a second wave could erupt some months down the line when that immunity wears off.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rmany-may-have-more-immunological-dark-matter .

<Off topic> From press conferences I've learnt a new word 'uptick', and when searching meaning and derivation a second 'downtick' </Off topic>

Last edited:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The roads are busy now, what worries me most are the pedestrian @Woo2 They amble across roads or walk in them like it’s a path, rather than a road with cars, vans or lorries bearing down on them :oops: Can’t tell you how many times a day (!), I slam on the brakes as someone steps out a few feet ahead of me ... I’m poodling along .. heaven help us when people are doing 30mph or even speeding.

Things are “looking” normal again, very few masks etc, so it seems a complacency is taking hold. When I have a gap, I might sit in my car on the seafront, but I daren't get out

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The population may not be naive @nitram , but there is an arrogance evident in my local population. The only time I see anyone move away is if they see a paramedic. Then they leave massive space around them

I was in uniform last week, a family walked towards me three abreast across the pavement, I started backing up, with nowhere to go (road on one side, shops on the other), until I was able to duck into a shop doorway. They laughed at me and said “thank you”.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch is very cuddly and snuggly @Woo2 ... might have something to do with the drop in temperature lol

Im taking big brother fishing next week, he’s allowed out at last, I think it will do him the world of good to sit quietly for hours. He might get the chance to think. He might even make a few decisions.

Everyone else is muddling along, going fir walks when it’s quiet and managing to stay friends!!

Eldest is struggling, considering how antisocial he is, I’m surprised at how much he is hating it. I’ve had him screaming at me, crying down the phone or ignoring my calls. I’ve completely changed tack and now call at random times, saying I’ve got half an hour to kill till my next call and thought he might help my boredom levels ...So far, it’s working ok. He’s relaxing a little and he’s not been aggressive for a few weeks. I know the saying “we hurt the ones we love”, but it’s so frustrating when he praises his father (who won’t answer calls, regularly fails to turn up etc) and rants at me. I guess he knows I won’t walk away.

Me. Well, I’m tired, but my hours have gone up a bit and emotionally the calls are much harder. Everyone is major stressed and anxiety is through the roof with many. The pressure to be 100% aware is harsh. People are generally terrified of going to hospital and are not reporting, just in case we call anyone for them, so teasing out information is hard. But, we are getting through it and mostly, I’m getting smiles and a few laughs. Those laughs are precious

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
The fishing trip may well do him (and you ) the world of good ? Glad to hear pooch is snuggling?.

I feel your pain with eldest. I don’t know there is much more you can do, I will say that he may praise his father to you but you aren’t aware of what he says about you to his father , it may be glowing.

work sounds tough , glad you are getting some good moments .

it’s getting progressively worse here, I fear once Monday comes next week and non essential shops open it will be a free for all , so many short sighted people around.?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
That sounds good that you are taking your brother out fishing. I am sure it will be good for you to see him too.
It sounds like you have a lot of pressure building up with brother, oldest, work and inconsiderate, ignorant people who believe they are immune so I hope pooch snuggles are helping and you are able to find some time to relax too

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have to admit to curling up and hiding. It’s not been a great few days. My lovely man has gone in “for respite” but we all know what that means. I try to kid myself that I will see him again, but my heart is heavy with loss already

I’ve struggled to put on my game face, but the mask helps hide the grimace. There is a positive to PPE.

I’ve looked at some people this last week, people who take great pleasure in being spiteful and mean, yet they are feeling no pain. Others who “enjoy ill health” as my dad wouId say, who moan and winge about nothing, but who feel no pain. I have no patience with them. I have no desire to see them

Tonight I met a new one. Quite happy to sign the paperwork and let me go home, after three or four minutes of minimal care. (Not my style). My job was done, but my time was not. So, I sat down, pulled out the paperwork and “pretended” to read, while chatting. I’m disgusted to admit I “work” with people who take advantage. That there are people who will do less than five minutes of work, get a signature and leave, but expect payment for thirty minutes work. This person doesn't see anyone but us. Spends twelve hours a day alone, with just us to break the monotony of their day and they can’t be bothered to sit and talk.

No. I did not do anything special. I’m no saint. I was tired. I was hot (believe me, PPE is very unpleasant to wear ... you sweat like a biatch). But, this is the job we signed up for and we should all be staying our time

Its been a tough week, but I’m grateful to this new person for reminding me what the job is.

I was thanked for chatting. Honestly, thanked for sitting and talking rubbish for twenty minutes. That’s sad. That says a lot about what has been happening. The thanks was from me to them, for reminding me why I want to do this.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I could happily spend hours sitting talking . We went to the beach one day a couple of years ago and while family went to explore I sat talking to a 90 year young lady telling me about her travels , she was absolutely fascinating and I think she took as much pleasure telling me as I did from hearing , I would like to volunteer in our local hospital when I have the time . I am sorry you are hurting, your lovely man has company and people around him constantly now and is being well cared for I’m sure , he deserves the kindness and compassion that you have given/shown him in bucket loads .

Glad the new person has reaffirmed things for you .
There are sadly too many people that invest so little in their roles and fellow humans .
sending more hugs ? ? for you , as I’m sure pooch gets enough ! Be kind to you .?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning and thank you @Woo2

It’s amazing what a good nights sleep does for you, I’m feeling much brighter today and of course, the sunshine is helping too

I’m sure the hospice nurses will be fighting among themselves to see my lovely man, as we did ?, so he will have lots of company. You are right, I should focus on that

I now have my fingers crossed that I might get the new one as a regular, that wouId be nice. I think it wouId be nice for both of us

Thanks for the hugs, just what the doctor ordered ?

Hope you are well stocked up on ice cream, but not needing it ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
? Am indeed well stocked up , not needing it too much . We are in an unsettled bed/wake up time at the mo and added confusion , but it’s ok thanks .
It’s hard as I can imagine you miss him lots , sure he is getting lots of ladies attention and fuss . Hope you get new one as a regular and yes it will be good for you both . Have some more hugs ?? X