Thanks for all the advice

whetstone woman

Feb 18, 2014
Following a stroke mum is now on her penultimate journey. She is being assessed tomorrow for a care home. Thanks to all the advice on here I had already seen several homes last year. Our preferred home has a bed. Mum will be in the same road she has lived in for 68 years, so we all know how to get there etc and her house can continue as a base until it is sold. Some months back I got an Independent Social Worker involved - advice from here about such people and so worth the money to find someone batting for us and knowledgeable. Again using advice from here I was able to be pro-active with the hospital. I said not interested in bells and whistles it's only for the visitors not the residents. The discharge team seemed delighted with that attitude. While it is so sad seeing her enter her 97th year a ghost of her former self we hope she will remain safe and loved until the end.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm sorry to hear your mother seems to be near the end of her journey. But it must have been a comfort to you that you felt well prepared and knew how to go about finding the right care home for her - will keep fingers crossed the assessment goes well tomorrow.

I hear such good things about independent social workers, I will bear that in mind should the need arise for my mother. She is in a self funded care home (slightly scruffy, but excellent care!) but if she outlives her funds, I may well need some help to ensure she continues to get good care.