Thank you so much for your replies and support it really helped

Beannie

Aug 17, 2015
East Midlands
Hi I recently posted under I care for a person with dementia titled feeling so desolate.... The situation has now been resolved. My brother and I had the meeting with the Social Worker who was 'hell bent' on sending my Mum home with up to date technology!!!!!!!!! My Mum cannot tell the difference between the remote control and the telephone how the devil did she think she could deal with more technology. Then it was suggested she had assisted living which would have meant her ,MOVING INTO NEW ACCOMMODATION!!!!!!! My brother lost his rag with her and I could see things getting heated so I decided to ask the question:- Why are Social Services involved as she will be self funding?? Suddenly the atmosphere changed when the SW realised we were not asking for financial help, never have been.

Anyway after much discussion it was decided Mum would be better in permanent care. My brother and I spent all that weekend visiting Care Homes and decided on one. She has now moved into the Care Home which she seems to be okay with. She has her own room with en-suite. I can now look to the future, albeit without my OH, and have my operations. I am also in the process of selling my house to move into a bungalow.

I want to say thank you for all your replies, support and kind words. We are all on the same journey but at different destinations along the way. 10 years ago I could have never envisaged how Alzheimers Dementia would come into my life and the havoc it would cause. I am sure I will post again and maybe I can be of support to others.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
Bless you Beannie. I do know how you feel. I've had 12 years of both my parents dementia journeys, who are both in homes now. But I still find myself telling my son's that when I was younger, and my parents were well and living life to the full in retirement, would I have ever imagined what was to come in the future, thanks to this cruel disease.

Try to concentrate on yourself a little more now, it's easier said than done I know. In the dementia journey for our PWD's it is always a decine, but at least you know now that your mum is safe and well looked after.

Take care

Ang

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Its good to hear most of your troubles have been resolved @Beannie . I hope you will now have more time to spend on yourself.

Good luck with the move and any medical/surgical treatment you need.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I’m glad that things are now moving in a more positive direction for you and I hope your Mum settles well in her new home.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I just want to add to what has been said, and hope your mum settles in and you can get some time to relax in your new home when it all goes through.