Temperamental Mouse.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have a wireless mouse for a desk top Imac

There is no scrolling wheel but the scrolling movement on the mouse usually enables trouble free scrolling.

For a while now, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn`t.

When it doesn`t, I need to use the scrolling bar at the side of the screen. This slows down the smooth running of the computer and is quite a nuisance.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Shel_B

Staff Member
Staff member
May 5, 2020
Doncaster
I'm sure you've already tried it, but have you tried changing the battery in it? I know when it's time for mine to be changed because it works sporadically :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is no battery @Shel_B . It is a wireless `magic` mouse and I charge it to my computer. It is 82% charged now.

I have just googled help and see it could be dust . I`ve vacced it and it is scrolling again. I should have done this before I posted.

I will see how long it works for or if it`s just a temporary fix.

Thanks Shel :)

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
As a major mouse user, I feel your pain! I use a wheelie one but have often had the same issues - scrolling problems, pointer jumping or not moving as it should, all sorts of really annoying things. And I am paranoid about my precious computer because I use it for my work.... and pretty much all the rest of the time too, much as others use their phones! So whenever my mouse starts playing up I panic that there's a virus on my PC or the operating system is about to explode...

Over the years I've learned a few things: dust, as you say, is sometimes a culprit. I don't recommend spilling coffee on it either. Yours is a self charging one so battery changing isn't an option - I've found that often a mouse becomes 'sick' when the battery is going and starts playing up. But I honestly think these things have some sort of built in obsolescence, much like other small electrical items and they simply aren't made to function for more than a few years. I'm lucky if mine last a year.

Next suggestion - and I'm not being flippant! Turn it off (the tiny switch underneath) and on again. This can re-set the thing. Or actually take out the little connector thingie that goes in the USB slot, give it a minute then put it back in. Again, this re-starts the mouse and it can 'recover' and work properly again.

If nothing works, just buy a new one. Again not being flippant but they are not expensive. Don't buy very cheap ones (for reasons above - the no-name ones really aren't as good and if you get a branded one, it's easier to complain if it doesn't work.) I always have a couple of spare new ones ready to go because I can't work without good scrolling. I actually bit the bullet a while ago and bought a genuine Microsoft mouse and whilst I am no great fan of MS generally, this one is really good and has been working well for a year and a half now. And it's pink....

And get a wheelie one - you won't regret it!

Shel_B

Staff Member
Staff member
May 5, 2020
Doncaster
There is no battery @Shel_B . It is a wireless `magic` mouse and I charge it to my computer. It is 82% charged now.

I have just googled help and see it could be dust . I`ve vacced it and it is scrolling again. I should have done this before I posted.

I will see how long it works for or if it`s just a temporary fix.

Thanks Shel :)
Ahh! You have a very special one then! Although mine's wireless, I still have to put a battery in it!
Glad to see a bit of a hoovering got it working at though :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks @Jaded'n'faded and @Shel_B

I think my mouse mat was the culprit. Although my worktop is regularly cleaned and dusted, the mouse mat isn`t. I`ve abandoned the mat , been out for a walk and the mouse is working perfectly?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The worst faults are intermittent ones - they make you question your sanity... Especially when you find a fix that seems to work.... but next day it doesn't.

The mouse mat should make no difference...

(If you decide to get a new mat, may I recommend the sort that have a padded lump at one end to rest your wrist? Definitely helped me)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Vaccing the mouse and removing the mat didn`t last long. I`m again back to having to use the side scroll bar. :(

The cursor moves across the screen using the mouse but it won`t scroll.

I`ll have to take advice on Tuesday.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All alien to me because it's not Windows.

However is there a setting where you can adjust something like cursor or pointer sensitivity?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm a bit stymied now too because I'm not sure how you scroll without a wheel...

...and didn't even notice the word imac :D

But device settings don't usually change by themselves. (Note: I did not say never...)

As for the dust/mat fix that no longer works - that's what I meant about intermittent faults. It's often hard to attribute cause and effect when there are so many variables...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes. I touch the mouse and draw my finger down as I would a wheel.

It`s not working at all now and all I can do is use the side scroll bar. I`ve had 2 iMacs since 2011 and this is the first mouse to let me down.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Things you could try.

Toggle bluetooth 'off' and 'on'.

Unpair mouse with iMac and then pair again.

Reinstall bluetooth drivers.

Reinstall video drivers.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks @nitram.

I had no joy last night but it`s working today and I did nothing. I wonder if it`s just worn out as I am trying to sort it.

I do not have Blue tooth on my desk top. My son said it`s only for portable equipment. I`m not sure how correct he is because he knows as little as I do.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The mouse is connecting remotely ether by bluetooth or wireless, I strongly suspect bluetooth.

Is bluetooth shown in 'system preferences'?
Is mouse listed?

It may also be able to connect via the cable you use to charge it, are things different when it is plugged in? Direct connection may need a setting and not be a default on connection.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It seems bluetooth is on for both the mouse and the key board

When I connect the mouse to the cable to charge it, the connection is on the underside of the mouse and cannot be used while charging.

They don`t make it easy for us do they?

I have to go out now but thanks for your input @nitram. I`ll check the link when I get home.