Teddy bear comfort?

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
This evening mum has said she doesn't want to be on her own at night. She is in a hospital bed in the living room. I have tried to reassure her that I am not far away but wondered if a teddy bear might be comforting for her. Does anyone else have experience of this?

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @TessB - it isn't something that I used when caring for my husband, however, during those years (and since) I have seen dolls, teddies and other soft toys bringing a lot of comfort to those who would otherwise be anxious.

I think it would be well worth giving it a go 🙂

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Hi @TessB - it isn't something that I used when caring for my husband, however, during those years (and since) I have seen dolls, teddies and other soft toys bringing a lot of comfort to those who would otherwise be anxious.

I think it would be well worth giving it a go 🙂
Thank you. I will try it.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I have been giving mum a teddy bear for the last few nights and think it has made a difference. First time I gave it to her, her face lit up and she said she'd always liked teddy bears. Think I need to give it back to her sooner, after the carers have put her to bed. They never give it back to her so I do it but last night I did it when I went to bed and mum seemed a bit grumpy. I also gave mum a heated wheat bag in the hope that she would find it comforting. Night before last and last night, mum was talking out loud or calling out, so I'm feeling tired today. Mum, of course, will go to sleep in her chair after breakfast. She has said she feels tired, even when she was sleeping during the day and at night.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
This evening mum has said she doesn't want to be on her own at night. She is in a hospital bed in the living room. I have tried to reassure her that I am not far away but wondered if a teddy bear might be comforting for her. Does anyone else have experience of this?
There are robotic cats and small dogs out there. They feel like an amimal and they purr ( the cat obviously) we have one and we both talk to it, ( it's the only one that makes sense) seriously ours feels like a cat and purrs like one and I find it very comforting. Checkout Amazon for what they are like. Also have a word with your local occupational therapist, tht's where we got ours.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I have been giving mum a teddy bear for the last few nights and think it has made a difference. First time I gave it to her, her face lit up and she said she'd always liked teddy bears. Think I need to give it back to her sooner, after the carers have put her to bed. They never give it back to her so I do it but last night I did it when I went to bed and mum seemed a bit grumpy. I also gave mum a heated wheat bag in the hope that she would find it comforting. Night before last and last night, mum was talking out loud or calling out, so I'm feeling tired today. Mum, of course, will go to sleep in her chair after breakfast. She has said she feels tired, even when she was sleeping during the day and at night.
The person I know who has 'teddy' knows I like him. At our dementia group I'm always given teddy to hold. I talk to teddy like a mini person and the lady loves it l I feel privileged that she trusts me with her special friend.🙂

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Pleased to hear that the teddy bear has had an effect :)

My mum had a soft toy crocodile that she had for years. She used to talk to it and it clearly gave her great comfort. When dad was alive, mum would leave the toy downstairs at night, covered it with a blanket "to keep it warm at night". After dad died, she started to take it to bed with her. The crocodile accompanied her to hospital and the care home. At the care home, the staff realised that mum needed the toy as a comforter and started to introduce other soft toys to her (she ended up with a room full!) - actually I think she also used to just collect random soft toys from shelves around the care home too. She thought that they were her children.

When mum was cremated, we had the croc put into the coffin, so I guess that they're always together wherever that may be.

Hope you manage to catch up on your sleep @TessB
S x

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
@TessB I purchased a robotic dog 🐕 for my wife. Best buy so far. It gives her immense pleasure and regularly sits in on her lap and has amazing conversations with it.

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
We bought a robotic cat for my partner. It moved and purred. He was always a bit mystified by it but was happy to sit with it on his lap. I believe it brought him some comfort.

LynSH

Nov 13, 2023
I was a physio and we often gave dolls or teddies to ladies especially when they were confused especially after surgery. It seemed to help. Not sure if this will help but there soft toys out there with a wheatie bag in the tummy. that may be comforting too

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I was a physio and we often gave dolls or teddies to ladies especially when they were confused especially after surgery. It seemed to help. Not sure if this will help but there soft toys out there with a wheatie bag in the tummy. that may be comforting too
Thank you for that suggestion. I've recently been giving mum a wheat bag so to have the two combined would be good.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
@SkyeD sadly another disturbed night. Mum was worried at 2am, thinking she had to go home. Then between 4 and 4.30am she either called out or spoke out loud. Around 4.30 she called my name but seemed surprised when I appeared.

SeaGirl

Nov 23, 2023
You can even get plush teddies and puppies with a 'heartbeat' to help dogs get over separation anxiety. Some also have a wheat-bag insert for warmth. Search in a browser and you'll be surprised what comes up.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Oh no @TessB :-(

Sorry to hear that you had another broken night. Better luck tonight, maybe??
Hugs S x

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
You can even get plush teddies and puppies with a 'heartbeat' to help dogs get over separation anxiety. Some also have a wheat-bag insert for warmth. Search in a browser and you'll be surprised what comes up.
Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharks2108