Technology

Wasgreen

Apr 25, 2024
Hi, my wife has a problem with mobiles and I wondered if anyone has, or has used, RealSAM mobiles and if so, with what success? As they use oral commands, rather than fingers, they seem ideal.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Not used these, but OH can use voice commands on his phone and on our ‘Google Nest’. Having said that it can ge hit and miss and it took a lot of ‘training’, and is very limited, but generally he can ring me or his daughter, and send a message. Can ask the time, weather and get the radio on Google. I would describe his dementia as mid stage, but he has PCA rather than a more normal (if there is such a thing) Alzheimer’s .

Wasgreen

Apr 25, 2024
Many thanks. I've seen the video and that's what prompted me to ask if anyone had actual experience of this phone. It's promoted by the RNIB for visually impaired people, but it seems ideal for those with dexterity problems but who are quite capable of telling a phone to 'call daughter" or whoever.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Many thanks. I've seen the video and that's what prompted me to ask if anyone had actual experience of this phone. It's promoted by the RNIB for visually impaired people, but it seems ideal for those with dexterity problems but who are quite capable of telling a phone to 'call daughter" or whoever.
My husband hasn’t been able to use a mobile for about ten years but just a couple of thoughts.

He finds it very hard to remember instructions and I think that as I watched the video, I realised that he would find it difficult to follow. He couldn’t use a GPS because he couldn’t follow the instructions and I know I have to give very simple ones for him to find things for example. It does require a certain level of memory.

The other thought was that my husband’s speech is becoming slurred at times and I wonder if this would cause any problems as this gets worse.

He still uses a computer but I think because the icons are there, he can manage until something goes wrong. Then he cannot problem solve to work out what has happened

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi, that's a good point re slurred speech, hadn't thought of that, thanks.
He also sometimes struggles to recall the words he wants to say so there often long pauses and and a few ums in between. I don’t know how that would go.

There are mobiles available that have large buttons also designed originally for people with low vision. Might be an option.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Or accents, Mrs next door is from Liverpool and sometimes I need a translator to speak to her. We almost have to resort to sight language sometimes, she has just such a heavy accent, love her to bits, hubby is great too but face to face really genuine accents can be difficult to deal with and I post on here as a carer. K

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Or accents, Mrs next door is from Liverpool and sometimes I need a translator to speak to her. We almost have to resort to sight language sometimes, she has just such a heavy accent, love her to bits, hubby is great too but face to face really genuine accents can be difficult to deal with and I post on here as a carer. K
Try Glaswegian!

Wasgreen

Apr 25, 2024
Thanks for all this! Luckily I only know 2 Glaswegians, who I love dearly, but apparently the phone will work with anyone who uses it. I'm inclined to buy it anyway and see how we get on. It will be the standard one, not the flash one, to keep things simple and I'll report back. As students, our Glaswegiand used to drink Guiness with whisky chasers and then became unintelligible! They've improved a bit.....