Tax Allowances?

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
House sold and MIL now totally self-funding. Are there any tax allowances that can be claimed? I've had a look round and can't find anything anywhere, but, surely we should be able to claim something against expenses for e.g. clothes?

Aquamanda

Jan 8, 2012
I don't know of any tax breaks, sorry; am in same position. She will definitely be entitled to Attendance Allowance which you have to apply for (and its not ever backdated) and also ask the Care Home if she entitled to a Nursing Allowance, which they can apply for. I believe that could be around £400 a month and it is normally paid to the Care Home but then they might offset that against the fees you pay so do ask about that.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No tax allowances in terms of personal allowance but if she is paying income tax and therefore cannot fill in an R85 she may well be able to claim some tax back at the end of the year.

Any savings income will be taxed at her marginal rate, presumably 20%, but the 10% band still exists for savings income. This means that if her income from non savings sources does not reach her personal allowance any additional savings income up to her allowance will have been taxed at 20% instead of 10%.

She can claim the 10% back by filling in an R40

www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40.PDF

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/r40notes.pdf

She can also get VAT relief on certain items bought for her personal use.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Thanks. That's what I thought, but it's always worth asking. She already gets the nursing contribution - £109 and some pennies per week and I'm waiting for the forms to arrive to restart AA. She also has about £400 left out of her tax allowance, so thanks Nitram, we can at least claim some tax back.

Interestingly, DWP have been very unhelpful on the phone and I stumbled across a thread on MSE this morning where people were reporting difficulties getting AA and, even, having it withdrawn.

Last edited:

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
The original request went in months ago and was never sent. I rang again this week, am hoping the forms will arrive shortly but, in future, everything will be done in writing.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you give them the date and time they will have a recording, ask them to check it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana1