Tamsulosin & Finasteride

Scotsace

Feb 18, 2019
He also has an Enlarged Prostate, he’s taking medication for this condition. It clearly says swallow whole do not chew or crush which is precisely what he does. I spoke to local Pharmacist who stated he must not do this and to get Drs. to re-prescribe. Spoke to Surgery they said to open capsules and put them in water. Personally I can’t see how this helps, they are still hitting the stomach in one hit and not the slow release as required. Apparently the NSH & Pharmaceuticals have different protocol. I now have an appointment with the GPs Pharmacist to discuss further. This situation can’t be unique to us, what have other people done. The medications in question are Tamsulosin and Finasteride.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
My OH takes both Tamsulosin and Finasteride tablets (has done so for about 5 years). Only directions received are "Take one a day". How and when has never been mentioned.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Searching around NHS my conclusion is that the Tamsulosin capsule can be opened, contents put in a glass containing a small amount of water and drunk immediately.

There is agreement on Finasteride, can be crushed but if crushing wear gloves and don't allow contact with skin.
The SmPC has this warning

Method of administration

For oral use only.

Crushed or broken tablets of Finasteride should not be handled by women when they are or may potentially be pregnant because of the possibility of absorption of finasteride and subsequent potential risk to a male foetus (see 4.6 Fertility, pregnancy and lactation). Finasteride tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/13542/smpc .