Taking clothes off in inappropriate situations

qiddie.

Sep 22, 2022
Hello,

Has anyone any experience of a person with dementia and taking the their clothes off in an inappropriate situation. Also gets very angry and confrontational when asked "don't you want put your t-shirt back on."

Thinks your being offensive and shouts when you trying to help them out and persuading to them to keep and put their clothes on.

My thoughts were she was sleepy and potentially dreaming. Anyone with any ideas or experiences, please?

Thank you.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
No experience but clothing that is more difficult to remove?
Approaching dressing more positively? Let's go for a quick stroll, it's cold out there, you will need a jumper?

qiddie.

Sep 22, 2022
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I could try a more positive attitude to dressing. Sometimes this person doesn't like her clothes at all and when suggesting an alternative they often refuse.

A temperature reminder would be helpful.... I'll try it out.

Thanks for your help.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
No solutions, but yes , been there!
Mum was chair bound, but I could go shopping / walk the dogs for 45mins and come back to find her with no clothes on her top half. If she could've removed the bottom half, I'm sure she would. Often it was really cold, but she seemed oblivious. Getting her to re-dress was a battle.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’m another who’s experienced inappropriate undressing. My mum needed help to go to the toilet by the time she reached this stage so I sewed buttons on to her tops and buttonholes into her waistbands which foxed her so eventually she stopped trying to strip.

Sadlady

Dec 23, 2022
My husband took his top two layers off instead of the outer layer in an Indian restaurant. Sitting there bare chested in winter I am surprised nobody appeared to notice. Had it been purely accidental he would have acted faster-I had to tell him to put his T shirt on quick!

qiddie.

Sep 22, 2022
I’m another who’s experienced inappropriate undressing. My mum needed help to go to the toilet by the time she reached this stage so I sewed buttons on to her tops and buttonholes into her waistbands which foxed her so eventually she stopped trying to strip.

qiddie.

Sep 22, 2022
Hello,

Thank you for your replies and experiences.

Hopefully, positivity will help out. I don't think I could manage her in a restaurant. I think she would definitely strip off and probably shout and give you a big ticking off just for trying to help her... Love the idea off the button holes and the button hole spaces.

Again, thank you for these responses and thank you for sharing your experiences.

Take care.