Swollen face

AmySue

Jun 9, 2021
My Husband is 4+ years into his diagnosis of Early Onset Severe Alzheimer's He was hospitalized last month for swelling in his face He was unrecognizable. It happened so very quickly too. Within a 24 hour period he went from whats wrong with your eyes, does it hurt, does it itch, to oh my heavens i am calling the Dr. The said it was facial cellulitis. He was in the hospital for 5 days , swelling went down but not completely by the time he was released. He has started to swell again. No changes in meds, laundry detergent or foods , called the dr and he went back on benadryl and an antibiotic He has a little fever around the eye area he does not have a temperature it is just warm to the touch and his face is red. He is still in the night, sleeps on his back. With the disease he sleeps a lot during the day. He does not do much walking He has a difficult time describing to me how it feels, he struggles to find words sometimes. I have to read the situation and guess Heartbreaking

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @AmySue ,
I have no direct experience of what is happening to your husband, so I can only welcome you to the forum .
Are you your husband 's only carer ? Besides being heartbreaking, your situation must be extremely demanding, too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @AmySue
a warm welcome to DTP
heartbreaking certainly, and challenging for you
I hope the meds work ... it's frustrating and worrying when you want to be able to sort out what's wrong
do you have support? ... your husband has a right to an assessment of his care needs by his Local Authority Adult Services, and you to a carer's assessment ... from that a care package should be suggested eg home care visits, day care, respite
now you've joined us do keep posting, it helps to share experiences

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey