Supporting partner - his dad's recent alzheimers diagnosis

moon89

Sep 26, 2023
Hello. Today my partner found out the test results for his dad and they confirmed he has alzheimers. He has been suffering from memory issues for 4 years and in recent months it became apparent how severe (repeats sentence, can't remember words, names of certain people/animals, places etc). While it has been clear for a long time, my partners family are not great with health or empathy and I think were in denial, or grim acceptance. The diagnosis however, I think will hit them all hard as it is a fact. What can I do to help my partner emotionally (he doesn't love talking about feelings, is often very practically minded)? And what can I do to help in general? I am very aware it is not my dad so don't want to overstep but I am also so sad as have known him for nearly 15 years and love him too. Any advice on people supporting their partners and partners families through it it all would be greatly appreciated. Especially with families who may not be great at talking about feelings/emotions or admitting if things are hard.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @moon89 and welcome. Sorry to hear about your father in law. Getting a diagnosis can be a shock and tends to raise all sorts of emotions in families and this can be hard to deal with, especially when you're trying to support more than one person and you also have your own emotions to deal with. It sounds as though you are a very caring person and your partner may just need some time to take the news in so perhaps just letting him know that you are there for him if he wants to talk about it might help? In terms of practical help, perhaps your partner could think about getting Lasting Power of Attorney in place for his dad (if not already in place) and also look into what benefits and support might be available too. There is a useful 'Dementia Guide' which contains lots of practical information here:

You may also find it beneficial to speak to an Admiral Nurse as they are experienced in helping and supporting families:

https://www.dementiauk.org/informat...agnosis-and-support/what-is-an-admiral-nurse/

Hope this helps and keep posting as this is a friendly and supportive place with a lot of shared experience.

moon89

Sep 26, 2023
Hello @moon89 and welcome. Sorry to hear about your father in law. Getting a diagnosis can be a shock and tends to raise all sorts of emotions in families and this can be hard to deal with, especially when you're trying to support more than one person and you also have your own emotions to deal with. It sounds as though you are a very caring person and your partner may just need some time to take the news in so perhaps just letting him know that you are there for him if he wants to talk about it might help? In terms of practical help, perhaps your partner could think about getting Lasting Power of Attorney in place for his dad (if not already in place) and also look into what benefits and support might be available too. There is a useful 'Dementia Guide' which contains lots of practical information

You may also find it beneficial to speak to an Admiral Nurse as they are experienced in helping and

Hope this helps and keep posting as this is a friendly and supportive place with a lot of shared experience.

Hello @moon89 and welcome. Sorry to hear about your father in law. Getting a diagnosis can be a shock and tends to raise all sorts of emotions in families and this can be hard to deal with, especially when you're trying to support more than one person and you also have your own emotions to deal with. It sounds as though you are a very caring person and your partner may just need some time to take the news in so perhaps just letting him know that you are there for him if he wants to talk about it might help? In terms of practical help, perhaps your partner could think about getting Lasting Power of Attorney in place for his dad (if not already in place) and also look into what benefits and support might be available too. There is a useful 'Dementia Guide' which contains lots of practical

You may also find it beneficial to speak to an Admiral Nurse as they are experienced in helping and

Thanks so much this is really useful