Supporting husband with frontal damage!

Ssteph

Aug 31, 2023
My husband was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s in the summer of 2023, whilst he is unable to see the impact of his condition and is able to continue working, I am left feeling frustrated, upset and low in mood, grieving alone for what was, and what will come. Does the feeling of loss and sadness ever stop?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Does the feeling of loss and sadness ever stop?
How can it?

It`s a harsh reality but it`s a harsh illness and we have to manage as well as we can with the changes it makes to out lives.

I think caring for a partner with dementia is one of the biggest asks ever and the onus is on us as carers to accept the reality and do our best.

One regret I do have is that I waited too long to ask for help. You have taken the first step by coming to this forum. It will give you more support than you can ever realise. I know this because I was in receipt of support from people here when my husband had dementia and I know it saw me through. Try to get as much help and support as possible.

Liiz

Jan 8, 2023
Hi Steph, sorry to hear about your husband. It's completely normal to feel deeply sad. I'm not a doctor, just another carer deeply sad about their loved one and like me you are most likely going through anticipatory grief which is entirely normal. It's OK not to be OK.

You're grieving for your partners life, for the life you thought you were going to have; whilst also caring, and also having to begin the logistical planning of how to move forward.

Please ensure that you just keep talking to people and accessing support. There was a time that whenever anybody asked me anything about my mum (diagnosed with Alz Dec 22) I would just cry, or even thinking about it. Coming up to 15 months I don't cry so readily anymore. I still do now and then, but I think I have now processed what is happening and what will happen.

Sending love