• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.



New member
Oct 15, 2021
I am a new member and I have a partner who is sufferring from what I believe is memory loss / loss of confidence / inability to help herself / very clinging etc ie alchzeimers / dementia and I dont know how to raise the conversation with them. She doesn’t seem to be able to work simple gadgets and now has trouble turning the shower on.

How do I raise the issue with her? I dont want to hurt her but I am concerned about her.

Fj al question : She is 65 and I am 67. What benefits if any are we entitled to as she doesnt draw her pension until next Srptember and we have savings of approx £9000

Thanks for listening

Quite contrary

Registered User
Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Hi @pcjjk As you are below the £10,000 threshold for savings, you may be entitled to Pension Credit and Housing/Council Tax Benefit. Once you get a diagnosis, you could apply for PIP if before next September or Attendance Allowance if after.


Registered User
Jun 12, 2020
On the medical issues you might try involving your GP if you can get an appointment, perhaps on a pretext such as a routine review. It does sound like dementia so you will need to brief the doctor in advance about the symptoms you have mentioned. There are some treatments that might help slow the progression so it would be worth getting medical advice.


Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Hi @pcjjk and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I'm sorry worry about your partner has bought you here.
I think it might be a good idea to contact your partner's GP. A letter or and email with a bullet point list of your concerns should hopefully be enough for them to call her in for an appointment. Some GPs do this under the guise of a well-woman check-up or similar. If you can go with her, as she may well tell the GP everything is fine. Best not to contradict her, but gently bringing things round to your areas of concern should give the GP an idea of the problem. It is worth her going as although it sounds like dementia there are other things such as B12 deficiency that can lead to dementia like symptoms so getting that checked up is a good idea.
If you haven't already done so, it might be a good idea to discuss getting Power of Attorney. You could both do it, as it is a very sensible thing for people to have, dementia or no.