Support groups to prepare families for later stages

WinGLB

Apr 24, 2024
My Mum was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers 5 years ago and is now living in a care home to support her full-time.
I am looking for a local support group for relatives who can share some of their experiences with particularly the emotions of grief but also information about the middle/late stages of dementia.
Any advice from the online community would be very welcome but being able to talk to people who have experienced it would be much better for me. How can I find out whether support groups exist locally? I live between Beford and Milton Keynes so would be able to access groups in either location.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, first of all.
Just put the "Alzheimers Society" and the names of the town into Google or whatever search you use, looks like there are a number of options in those areas.
We all talk by typing on here but I understand face to face contact is also very important too.
The "online community" here exists because we have real experience of living with or caring for those with a variety of conditions which come under the dementia (word I hate) group.
K

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @LMellor and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here, and members really do want to help.

This link may be helpful for local support in your area:

WinGLB

Apr 24, 2024
Thank you both. I have looked and hopefully found a couple of groups I can contact.
Look forward to being part of the online community :)