Support for carers

Adetheleveller

Jan 17, 2024
Hi there everyone, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am wondering what support there is for us as carers. We are in North Essex, and mum is getting more and more erratic and paranoid believing that we are breaking into her house and moving things etc. We are trying our best to help and support her, but with her aggressive attitude it is taking its toll on us.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to hear about your mum.

If you put your postcode into the box in this link you might find something in your local area.

Perhaps someone on the Admiral Nurse Helpline would be able to suggest something -

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
mum is getting more and more erratic and paranoid believing that we are breaking into her house and moving things etc
Is she also accusing you of stealing things?
Your mums behaviour is so common in dementia that it is almost diagnostic
Welcome to the world of mid-stage dementia

You wont be able to convince her that it is not true, Im afraid. Mum thought her cleaner was doing this too, so she sacked her, but of course it carried on and she thought the cleaner had stolen her keys (because she couldnt find them!) and was letting herself in. So I changed the locks. It continued happening and mum was convinced that her clearer was still getting in. When I asked mum how her cleaner could possibly be getting in as I had changed the locks, she told me she was getting in through the letter box......

You cant win with dementia and trying to reason with them wont work as by this stage they have lost the ability to reason. They know what they know and if you try and tell them they are wrong it just makes them angry. I found I said "Im sorry you feel that way" quite a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer