Sundowning strategy

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
I think we’re just moving into sundowning .For the last week between 4&6 in the evening my OH has got his shoes and said he was going out - don’t know where! Or is asking where everyone is or setting the table for 4 people / asking who else is coming.
I’m getting better at deflecting but some times it’s difficult. For example today he’s put his shoes on 4 times and Ive deflected him with food.
I’ve read quite a few sundowning comments - but if anyone has any hints and tips I’d be grateful.
Thank you all
Rosie

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I think we’re just moving into sundowning .For the last week between 4&6 in the evening my OH has got his shoes and said he was going out - don’t know where! Or is asking where everyone is or setting the table for 4 people / asking who else is coming.
I’m getting better at deflecting but some times it’s difficult. For example today he’s put his shoes on 4 times and Ive deflected him with food.
I’ve read quite a few sundowning comments - but if anyone has any hints and tips I’d be grateful.
Thank you all
Rosie
It's a bit early yet but I found the twilight caused problems and closing curtains and putting on lights helped prevent shadows or reflections causing problems. If your OH thinks there are people in the house getting rid of all reflections(covering mirrors/windows/TV's etc) may help.
In the hope that it helps, here's a link to an AS Factsheet that covers sundowning etc https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/download/downloads/id/3354/changes_in_behaviour.pdf

Last edited:

SpanishAnnie

Apr 26, 2018
Hello, this is something we are managing and try many deflecting tactics (over and above food) the best at the moment is to get my FIL to listen to the news, we say...'oh the royals have had a new baby, its on the news shall we listen ?' Anything thats in the news we tell him and he wants to listen ! Getting old photos out is another one that we find helps, he sometimes mentions old work colleagues, so I make out I cant remember what they look like and then suggest we look at photos to jog my memory. If he puts his shoes on, we sometimes say they look like they need a polish, get the polish out and he's busy with that for ages ! Sometimes we suggest sitting in another room, we have an open aspect at the front off our house so say something like theres been a lot of rabbits today, lets see if we can see any . Hope theres something you can use there - good luck
Looking forward to other suggestions too !

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife never really had the sundowning stage, OK she did sometimes get a bit more edgy as the day went on and more aggressive but I always felt that was a combination of her getting tired and how long she'd been awake trying to live in a world that no longer made any sense to her.
Since she's gone into care I've learned not to visit between about 6 and 8 pm, some of the residents do become a real handful at that time.
K