Sun-downing / Delirium

SJG001

Dec 2, 2023
I am looking for some advice - Since September my mum's (86) condition has got worse and between 5:30 and 7:30 pm she has extreme delusions including hallucinations - we have had to call the paramedic three times in the last eight days and I am just off the phone and she is hysterical again.

Generally she wants to go home, is somewhere else, does not recognize people, see's dead relatives and cannot understand what the TV is (At one point she thought the police was coming through it at her) - after about 7:30-8:00PM she calms down

A doctor was out today (4th visit since this started) and changed the medicine again.

I live an hours drive away and my dad is the primary carer - Does anyone have any ideas how to reduce these episodes. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Jessy82

Mar 15, 2021
I understand your situation mum was the same, I can't offer much advice apart from what helped with mum slightly. She couldn't watch TV as a normal person could, she thought everything was real and in her house, any soaps with shouting and screaming where a no go, or reality shows with ambulances and police, it all seems to real to a person with dementia, like you say with the police coming to get her. With mum I'd put YouTube on, andre rieu, calming peaceful music, those sleep, and calming videos, with waterfalls and nature, did seem to calm her.

SJG001

Dec 2, 2023
I understand your situation mum was the same, I can't offer much advice apart from what helped with mum slightly. She couldn't watch TV as a normal person could, she thought everything was real and in her house, any soaps with shouting and screaming where a no go, or reality shows with ambulances and police, it all seems to real to a person with dementia, like you say with the police coming to get her. With mum I'd put YouTube on, andre rieu, calming peaceful music, those sleep, and calming videos, with waterfalls and nature, did seem to calm her.
Thanks - once she is past the emotional stage she will watch Daniel O'Donnell and cat videos, but during the episodes, she is not interested in anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980