Summer solstice musings

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
With my wife's care home still locked down and Stonehenge off-limits I had to make do with a bike ride in celebration of the summer solstice. From a high point I looked northwards to see the cloudy sun slowly setting on the longest day. It was clear enough to see the Simonside and more distant Cheviot hills lit with a purple halo. By the time I got home at 10:30 it was still bright twilight. A beautiful evening that brought back memories of a similar trip last year..

Then my wife had been in her care home for just a few weeks. The 12 months have gone quickly, even though the continuing weeks of lockdown have been strange. After seeming to fit into her home straightaway my wife went through an unsettled phase, with some challenging behaviour. More recently she has been much more settled and accepting that her care home, if not what she would call 'home' (a memory of her childhood), is where she lives now.

She is not able to use a telephone and our video calls have been only partially successful. We communicate weekly via an illustrated letter that I post through the door with chocolate and other treats. The staff tell me that she still enquires after me but without concern at my non-appearance. Whatever the Government's approach to easing lockdown I am happy to proceed cautiously. Her care home has been virus free so far and this is something worth preserving even if it means not seeing my wife for a while longer. Meanwhile, rides like last night's give me material for my weekly scripts.
From Saltwick #1.jpg

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
That's good news. We had the same problem with video calls but mum's home has been open for garden visits for the last few weeks, and for visits into the home since last week, although visitors must maintain social distancing at all times and also wear full PPE (provided by the home). The first visit wasn't so good as mum seemed to have no recognition of who I was but since swapping a surgical face mask for a clear full face visor the visits have been much better. I hope your visit goes well (and lovely photo).

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
This afternoon I had an appointment to see my wife for the first time since mid March. It could hardly have gone better as we had a record 45 uninterrupted minutes in the garden before she decided to go inside. We sat at opposite ends of a long table, spent some time trying to maintain social distancing as she followed me around the garden, and had an impromptu drum battle. It seems that my instinct not to worry about her during lockdown was correct. It was great to see her largely unchanged and apparently happy to see me.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Nice photo.....its a topsy turvy time. I think in some ways coming out of the lockdown is just as difficult. So, many people here are acting like nothing ever happened. Sounds like you are doing all you can notes and chocolate.