Suicide or a cry for help?

HVSNessy

Apr 13, 2023
Hi. My Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in March of this year. Her immediate short term memory has gone, the slightly longer shirt term memory is hit and miss. So she is fairly early in the stages. She doesn't cope well with change, crowded places and accidents/incidents.

One of her Aunties had dementia, many years ago. Mum's mum took her own life, after which we believe from bullying from where she lived.

Mum has always said she ever gets like her Aunty, we have "to shoot her"! That isn't going to happen. Mum knows she has Alzheimer's. Over the last 6 month's she has talked about "doing what mum did" (ending her life) because she cannot live in this prison anymore. Please note that Mum still goes out by herself when doing her routine. Out of her routine, someone is with her. My sister and I, discussed this with Mum and her doctor, after a discussion between Mum and the Doctor, he concluded this was a feeling and she wasn't going to act upon it. He put her on antidepressants.

Today, Mum has threatend to get a rope and hang herself, this is what her Mum did. Dad has removed access to ropes, has locked them away and hidden the keys.

Mum told me what she was going to do and told me not to discuss it with anyone and if I did she would never speak to me again. Naturally, I am concerned and have spoken with my husband and sister. I didn't tell Dad the full story of what Mum said, but he isn't daft.

Has anyone been in this situation and if so, what did you do?
My sister and I have contact with our parents everyday. We've agreed if Mum says this again we are going to take her back to the doctors, but is that the right thing to do? She has recently had a thorough med review and no changes to perscriptions were deemed necessary. I've offered to pay for counselling for her to have someone to talk to other than family, but that has been refused.

I'm just not sure what is the right thing to do.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your mum @HVSNessy. It must be extremely worrying.

I would certainly share your concern with your mum's GP. If your mum has involvement with the social work department I would contact them as well. She may not be considering taken action but I think you need support for her to be on the safe side. She sounds very vulnerable.

I wonder if a talk with someone on the Dementia Support Line or even Samaratins would be helpful -

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think this is incredibly difficult, particularly concerning your family history.

You could say, lock her up somewhere safe (i.e. get her sectioned) so that she can't act on these thoughts.

You could also say that she has as much right as anyone else to take her own life and that people with dementia should be allowed to make their own decisions, even bad decisions.

On balance, I'd say the fact that she's telling you all how she feels (rather than taking action) is your mum communicating her fear and despair so maybe finding ways to reduce her anxiety (which may involve anti-depressants or other drugs) might be the way forward, so do discuss it with her doctor if possible.

On the other hand, it's not unreasonable to be depressed, even suicidal when diagnosed with dementia. I'm sure I would be.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Bless you, what a difficult conversation to have.

Your Dad has done the right thing by removing any rope. Do tell the GP but you can specifically ask for them not to disclose you had told them. They can always talk to her in the guise of something else and then assess her mood.

Dont be scared of the topic and if she mentions it again allow her to express her feelings. It’s ok to ask things like ‘are you going to do anything to harm yourself today?‘….’are you feeling safe from yourself?’ The answer to these questions may help you see whether it is a feeling or plan to action.

As @Izzy said you can chat to some support lines to help process this and get some more advice.