sudden weight loss

blueviolet

Mar 1, 2015
My husband has dementia and went into a residential home for 3 months to give me respite. His medication was changed to Trazadone and since then he has lost over 2 stone and now weighs 8st 4lb. I am so worried and have voiced my concern to the staff. I spoke to the doctor as weight loss can be a side effect of this drug but he said he didn't think it was due to the Trazadone as he is only on 50mg. I feel desperate as my husband looks emaciated. Do I have any authority to ask for him to be taken off the drug?

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
My husband has dementia and went into a residential home for 3 months to give me respite. His medication was changed to Trazadone and since then he has lost over 2 stone and now weighs 8st 4lb. I am so worried and have voiced my concern to the staff. I spoke to the doctor as weight loss can be a side effect of this drug but he said he didn't think it was due to the Trazadone as he is only on 50mg. I feel desperate as my husband looks emaciated. Do I have any authority to ask for him to be taken off the drug?

If you can, make appointment with doctor and discuss your husbands weight loss with him/ her. Ask if staff are monitoring his weight. Write down your concerns and give to home and doctor. Keep copies for yourself. Do you have an Admiral Nurse? You need respite, not more worry. Mention "duty of care" to staff manager if this is appropriate.

Aisling