Sudden speech change

lea123e

Jun 19, 2022
Evening all,

I am carer to my Dad who has vascular/frontotemporal dementia, we are almost 5 years in to diagnosis. He has over the last day suddenly started to speak much more slowly, no other symptoms at all. Monday would be our first opportunity to see the GP, i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this sudden change in speech with their person?

Many thanks

phill

Aug 8, 2007
I think it might be advisable to ring 111 and see what they say, unless you’ve already done so.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Seconded, call 111 it's what they're there for.
They can run you through a checklist and help you decide, could be nothing but please get him checked out.
Have I got it wrong or isn't Monday a bank holiday (UK England) everyday's a bank holiday to me now I've retired, just that a boating neighbour said something about staying on my boat over the bank holiday earlier today I assumed she meant this Monday coming. K

phill

Aug 8, 2007
They can run you through a checklist and help you decide, could be nothing but please get him checked out.
Have I got it wrong or isn't Monday a bank holiday (UK England) everyday's a bank holiday to me now I've retired, just that a boating neighbour said something about staying on my boat over the bank holiday earlier today I assumed she meant this Monday coming. K
Monday 3 June isn’t a Bank Holiday in England, but I don’t know about elsewhere.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Monday 3 June is a bank holiday in Ireland 🇮🇪. I'm afraid that sudden changes can be part of dementia. It's cliff edges and narrow ledges and plateaux, not always a gentle slope. If you're really concerned can you get him to A and E by taxi?

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Probably too late to help, but, almost 3 years ago dad was undiagnosed, I came to see him as usual & his speech was slurred & slow, couldn’t understand him. Did the FAST test. It wasn’t conclusive but enough for me to ring 999. Ambulance came, agreed symptoms of a mild stroke, took him to hospital. It was then he was finally diagnosed with mixed dementia, Alzheimer’s & Vascular. He is now on medication to avoid another TIA & hasn’t had one since. I agree with other comments, I would always recommend getting anything like this checked out ASAP.
Wishing you both all the best
x

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @lea123e and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum, there's lots of friendly support here, plus as you have already experienced, there's good advice too. People here understand and are happy to help if they can. It's good that you are going to have your dad checked out, I hope that he will be OK, let us know how you get on.