Sudden change in Grandad and looking for advice/similar experiences

concernedgdaughter

Apr 5, 2024
Hi everyone,
My grandad is in his 80's, lives in a sheltered accommodation flat, and generally manages well, until today.
He has no diagnosis of dementia, however I trying to put the puzzle pieces together of what's happened over the last 24 hours. He usually manages himself reasonably well, he has no carers, cooks for himself, goes for walks to the park (although his balance has been a bit dodgy for a few years and he's had the odd tumble) but this morning my dad received a phone call from the alert system at his flat, his neighbour had found him trying to get in to the wrong flat. He was soaking wet, with his trousers on inside out, mismatched shoes on the wrong feet and no idea where he was. When my dad arrived he had packed up random items and seemed to think he was on holiday and needed to pack to head home. We contacted 111 and they did an assesment on the phone with us, we are still waiting for a call back but were told it could be over 24 hours.
He has been getting confused lately, but normally only a little and it passes in a sort of 15-30 minute time frame. Could this be a type of Dementia? has anyone else had a sudden decline like this? Im just not really sure what we do next, as we when took him back to his flat he seemed to have no idea where he was.
Thank you for reading all of that and thank you in advance for any advice or experience shared!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
It may be that he has some sort of infection that has flared up. If he is still very confused maybe you could try 111 again and mention infection/sepsis which MAY make a call back quicker. It should certainly be within a shorter period than 24hours, that’s ridiculous!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Totally agree with @Banjomansmate, call 111 again. Any kind of infection can seriously derail an elderly person whether they have dementia or not. In the meantime, make sure your grandad is getting plenty of fluids and dehydration can be an issue .

concernedgdaughter

Apr 5, 2024
Thank you for the replies, 111 have said they are very busy and unfortunately he doesn't seem a priority. We've made sure to give him lots of fluids and he's currently having a snooze so I'm hoping he wakes up less confused. 111 kept mentioning him being Diabetic and I believe this is the focus of their thought process however I am convinced this is nothing to do with his Diabetes, and that's lead them down the wrong 'flow chart of questions' its so difficult to know what to do, at the end of the day he's an adult and we cant keep him prisoner. He really doesn't want to go to the hospital, although i know we may have to force him.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
How awful for you all. As others have said an infection can cause this sudden decline. Is he weeing normally? I think you have to keep on at 111 that this is not normal behaviour for him and ask about possible infections. Is there an 'urgent care' facility you could take him to?

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Just wondering about mini strokes too. Sadly I think this is a time for pointy elbows! Don’t be fobbed off. Such a dramatic change warrants investigation
Keep going

concernedgdaughter

Apr 5, 2024
We've stopped waiting for 111 and called an ambulance, his confusion is still increasing and hes started to get quite upset which is very out of character. The ambulance has been and his blood pressure was very high, theyve taken him off to hospital and hopefully we will get some answers. thank you all for your replies.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Nothing to say other than hoping it all turns Out well. Thank you for keeping posting. K

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
Glad to hear he is getting the attention he needs. Please let us know how he gets on.

concernedgdaughter

Apr 5, 2024
Thank you for all your kind words yesterday, It seems my grandad has had a stroke but it was missed as he wasn't displaying any of the FAST symptoms. He is being transferred to a stroke unit and hopefully now we can get him the care he needs x

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I did wonder about the possibility of a stroke Dis they get the clot busters done within the time required?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Thank goodness you didn’t just accept what 111 were saying. Hope your grandad is able to recover.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
Thank goodness you got to the bottom of what was happening... Best wishes to you and your grandad.

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Thank goodness you persisted. I'm wondering if it is worth making a complaint about the 111 service.