Such a different Mum today

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
I went into the care home to see Mum, she’s been in really good form lately. But so different today. She was thinking that she had just arrived at the care home (been there since last July) and she kept going round and round in circles asking me where her room was, where would she sleep, where were her belongings and what was happening to her home. An hour later and she was still going round and not remembering any of the answers- so different to how she’s been it was weird. She’s been like it before - when I had to take her to A&E and she didnt know what was happening. I tried to reassure her but she wasn’t really in the place to take it in.

The carer fedback that mum is in a much better mood when I’m there, she relaxes and is calm.

The journey of dementia is full of twists and turns and given mums recent form I feel so sad that today the dementia was winning the battle :(

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Oh @nic001 that was an unsettling and upsetting visit for you to deal with, and to come home thinking about. I hope it helped to share. Just when you start to relax into what you hope is a new normal, there’s a sudden shift and everything changes. Hopefully it was just a one-off, and your next visit will be a calmer one. Did you happen to visit later in the day today? Just trying to think of a reason, but then, as you say it’s just the dementia …

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @nic001 , has your mum been tested to see if she has a UTI or other infection? It could be that her dementia has progressed or it could be an infection. They don't always have obvious symptoms.

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
Hi @nic001 , has your mum been tested to see if she has a UTI or other infection? It could be that her dementia has progressed or it could be an infection. They don't always have obvious symptoms.
Yes worth a thought, I’ll see how she is on the next visit and bare that in mind. Thank you

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
Oh @nic001 that was an unsettling and upsetting visit for you to deal with, and to come home thinking about. I hope it helped to share. Just when you start to relax into what you hope is a new normal, there’s a sudden shift and everything changes. Hopefully it was just a one-off, and your next visit will be a calmer one. Did you happen to visit later in the day today? Just trying to think of a reason, but then, as you say it’s just the dementia …
It was a fairly usual time for me to visit, I guess it’s just been a while since she was that confused and it took me by surprise