1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Success with Direct Payment request

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Leswi, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Leswi

Leswi Registered User

Jul 13, 2014
    Bedfordshire
    I have been trying for some time now to get adequate Direct Payments to help with mum's care. Initially the amount offered was nowhere near enough to enable me to get evening and lunch help which is what I wanted (we already have morning carer). It paid to persevere, good news today, got what I asked for plus respite for 6 weeks a year on Direct Payment too so I can choose a home or maybe get someone to live in with mum for respite. Thought some of you might like to know about this, although I guess not all areas will be the same.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    That's excellent news!

3. Louby65

Louby65 Registered User

Mar 26, 2014
    Scotland
    Hi leswi. That's excellent news and gives me hope . I applied for self directed support in march 2014 . I'm still waiting ! My mum has been assessed and I have been told my mum qualifies for it , so hopefully it will be soon . At present I am using my savings to employ a carer . Fingers crossed it comes soon before my savings run out !
    Best wishes