Struggling financially and emotionally

Gem62

Dec 6, 2014
My OH was diagnosed in Dec 2015 and since that time I’ve been trying to keep our home / family going pretty much without support. I’m now 57 and exhausted by caring for him at weekends and working full time in the week. I have a personal carer in all week and have just started using a care home for day care at weekends as I cannot leave him alone even for half an hour. He has epilepsy and also forgets to use the toilet (not incontinent - just forgets to pull down trousers or to go on the loo itself). I have zero support for me and he gets £250-280 a month towards his care costs (has a small pension and his PIP - I pay the rest). His care costs have drained all our savings so none left. I am beyond tired and cannot see how to keep it all going without becoming ill myself. I don’t really have a question but more I wanted to ‘vent’ to others who know what this all feels like. I feel guilty that I want to spend less and less time with him as he’s very difficult and can be aggressive towards me. He’s mostly good with the carers but can get really stroppy and bargy with his physical behaviour when he’s annoyed.
It’s all utterly depressing TBH!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You shouldnt have to pay for his care @Gem62 - it should come out of his savings. If he has under £25000 savings the Local Authority will pay towards it - so long as they agree that it is necessary. Has your husband had a needs assessment and a financial assessment?