Stringing a sentence together

Palamino2

Aug 25, 2009
Suffolk
I am a 52 year female. I am going thru the menopause (have been for what feels like forever). My Mum has Vascular dementia and I am absolutely terrified I will develop it and look for signs all the time.

For quite a while now I often can't find the words to express what I am trying to say. When I am talking I get stuck mid sentence and I can't think of the particular word - it gets embarassing at times.

I don't think my memory is as good as it should be either - I go into town and forget half the things I am supposed to buy unless of course I have a list (I often forget to actually take the list with me).

Does anyone know what the odds are for me getting alzheimers?

I am terrified............

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Does anyone know what the odds are for me getting alzheimers?

Dear Palamino, the short answer is 'no'.
However I would ask for a thyroid test at this time. Many women find that the thyroid glad acts up during the menopause.

Thyroid deficency can cause slight problems with your memory.
Please try to think positive.n

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
As Connie says NO..

I am now 60 and on HRT, and still I leave the list on the table, but having written the list I get most of it..

Stress is my bugbear, tonight I grabbed a bottle and tried to have a shower, it was body lotion,, NOT MANY BUBBLES..

This is called life, we mess up

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Palamino,

The trouble with caring for someone with dementia is that you are stressed (and menopausal!) and the brain sometimes just cuts out on you.

I'm terrified that I'll get dementia and frequently find myself forgetting words, which is the way my mum first displayed the symptoms of dementia. I know it's stress, agitation and worry (and quite probably the menopause) but it doesn't mean it isn't frightening.

I'll tell you to try to relax and not worry, then I'll give myself the same advice!

Vonny xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I've had a SIL and several friends tell me their memories went right out the window during menopause. Add to that your worries about vascular dementia and life in general and presto - you have an awful memory.

I've had a couple of phases when I really worried about developing the disease. I'm 55 now and my mother was diagnosed with AD at 64 but most likely started the disease in her mid to late fifties. Hence my paranoia.

Not that it does any good. If I get it, there's absolutely nothing I can do about it so I might as well seize the day and the devil take the hindmost.