Stress of moving mother from US to UK

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
My mother 82, she’s got some sort of MCI/dementia that seems to be progressing slowly for now (I suspect vascular she has had 2 stroke one aged 38), and she lives in the US. It is a huge struggle to find out all the information, make all the decisions on my own, try to do the best things for her, never mind what it’s doing to me, my full-time job which has switched to remote which is hard to get used to and stay motivated. I’ve left behind my own family including a very unhappy 18 year old just rejected very belatedly from the uni of choice and having to do stupid fake A-levels due to CoVID, then leave school abruptly the next day; a 20 year old moving flat for the 4th time as can’t stand her lockdown flatmates anymore and failed HER exams uncharacteristically due to stress and boredom with prison zoom uni, and even my poor old dog aged 13, left with the busy family in England who have no time for her, and is pining and not eating.

DH at least is being a star, sorting out our much-delayed house purchase and organised bathroom refurb etc so mum can stay with us and have a shower, without breaking her neck, hopefully she will still be continent and still willing to do the the self care things by the time we move in.

The old threads here on past expat dilemmas are interesting and it has never been easy, but the world has changed so very much. The US and Britain’s quickly become even more hostile to immigrants and dual nationals such as myself, my UK born mother and my children, and we are having epic struggles to even get basic services like bank accounts and passport renewals. I’m not the only one in my health-care workplace to be feeling very unappreciated and wonder why We ever settled there with falling wages and ever increasing workloads. We have paid taxes throughout and will be self-funding, due to our careful saving and dull inexpensive lives.

I’m sad and stressed with myself today, I’ve had to cut back on my dose of antidepressants because I couldn’t get enough to cover my extended visit and DH won’t send them because he thinks it’s illegal (too late now, the postal service is a mess). I forgot a family zoom phone call that mum would have enjoyed, instead taking her out to a garden centre and for an Ice-cream for Mother’s Day here, which she didn’t enjoy much - I keep forgetting she just stands around staring at single things when she used to love browsing when shopping, and takes forever to move unless I chivvy all the time. Same with the ice cream, took forever to pick one, and then she didn’t like it. 3 pm the wrong time of day to have an ice-cream apparently! Who knew!

There are crises at home with a Charity I am the chair of the board of trustees for my sins and they keep having meetings at 6 am my time, plus I’m too tired to be dealing with all the griping and in-fighting long-distance anyway. I’m starting to think more than one person there has serious mental or cognitive issues too! I see it everywhere I look now, lol.

Mum’s supposed to be the one who forgets everything, but I just can’t hold it all in my head! I’ve done the US POA wills etc and paid a hefty lawyer bill, but now have to do it all again for UK because they are different. I also can’t afford to fund it all, and mum can, but I have to go begging to her all the time and she immediately forgets what she agreed to or why I need her to go to an appointment at bank, lawyer or to sign something! My idiot cousin keeps ringing up and lamenting to mum that she is moving back to England forever (she says, “I am? No I am not!!” and how he will miss her (he never called or visited once) when I have assured her it’s just a holiday, thanks a bunch cuz! I’m hoping to bring her back temporarily to US in autumn for a medical appointment but it depends how fast her dementia progresses. She won’t be entitled to NHS treatment until she sells her house and gets her ancient UK passport renewed which is a nightmare, and she will lose her US healthcare if she lets it lapse because she now has cancer diagnosed in January, which is now a pre-existing condition under treatment here (it seems to be under control for now).

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Wow, thats a lot going on there @AwayWithTheFairies - I think I understand your user name now! I am not surprised you cant hold it all in your head.
Id be inclined to prevent that cousin from contacting your mum - you can do without that sort of interference.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
Thanks canary, I told my idiot cousin’s mother the issue ahead of his visit to her for Mother’s Day and she seems to have dealt with it, he’s stopped bothering us! Anyway she found a Matt for the drawing in her old stash of art stuff and with any luck I can dump it at his house without having to engage in conversation in mum’s earshot.

Meanwhile, bearing in mind mum lives on her investment income, and we aren’t in a position to suddenly clear and sell her house but she needs to give it up somehow to be eligible for a NhS treatment since her US insurance is not portable, I asked the lawyer can she give it to me or her granddaughters now; (we don’t want to live in it but it might sort the problem I think). my lawyer has suddenly got the bright idea of mum gifting her house NOW to some UK relative so we don’t have to pay inheritance tax. I and my 2 daughters are all USxUK dual nationals so someone would have to pay tax to one or other country on a big gift (but not as much as inheritance tax). The only Uk family person is my mums half-brother and he is competing with my cousin to be the most daft self-centred git who is pain to have around. He won’t do anything for mum, meanwhile I am going bankrupt, crazy and endangering my employment to sort her out. I’m not a fan of paying tax but maybe I’d rather her majesties’ government have it than him! He’s well off with no children. I told the lawyer please not to bring this idea up with anyone, especially mum. I’m now wondering what I am paying this lawyer for, I wanted straightforward advice not madcap schemes.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
At least I found the minister of the church choir I sang in ore-CoVID remembers meeting mum at past Christmas concerts and with endorse her passport application! Phew.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Meanwhile, bearing in mind mum lives on her investment income, and we aren’t in a position to suddenly clear and sell her house but she needs to give it up somehow to be eligible for a NhS treatment since her US insurance is not portable, I asked the lawyer can she give it to me or her granddaughters now; (we don’t want to live in it but it might sort the problem I think). my lawyer has suddenly got the bright idea of mum gifting her house NOW to some UK relative so we don’t have to pay inheritance tax.
Please dont gift the house to anyone. This would be considered deprivation of assets in UK and the Local Authority would probably refuse to fund any care. This is a separate issue from inheritance tax.
I dont know how care would be funded with your mum moving from US. Normally in UK property would be disregarded all the while the person with dementia is living in it, but otherwise it would be necessary to sell it to fund care.
I think it would be a very good idea to find out what your mum would be eligible for before she moves,

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
We are not exactly the same as the opening poster - mum is not entitled to free old age care, and will have to live a very long time to run out of money which is unlikely as she also has cancer, but the plan is that she will be self funding of her own care by gradually liquidating her assists. it’s only to have normal nhs cover in case of other healthcare needs that any citizen gets. This is always a worry for Americans because it is such a lot of work and trouble to have proper healthcare Coverage. The rule for citizens as I read it, according the Uk.gov is you have to prove you are a citizen, check we have the birth certificate, and prove they have moved properly back to the UK, including sold or rented out any abode abroad. I will try to find out though if they care who you sold it to! Thanks for the caution canary I went back and reread the guidance.. We cannot cope with selling her house or storing all her stuff to rent it out now on top of everything else.

The NHS and UK understandably don’t want healthcare tourists who jet in, get free healthcare, then fly back home with i.e. a new hip etc. (As is anyone is getting one these days!) If she could continue to live independently in her home of 60 years, and cope with what life is throwing at her which now is cancer, we would not be returning her to the UK. But sadly she is not cognitively able to do that.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ah, thanks for the clarification @AwayWithTheFairies . I had misinterpreted your post as the lawyer suggesting that you give away her property as a way to reduce her assets so that she would become eligible for free social care (professional carers, care home etc). It is a problem we see on here a lot, especially the confusion between IHT and Deprivation of Assets.

There is a lot for you to organise and think doing anything which makes your life easier is worth doing.
xx