Straws that can break a back.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Does anyone one know about a Golden Ticket trial in the south of England? I think the idea is to have a contact as a gateway to services.

In the past weeks I have had to have medical investigations plus ongoing medical treatment, I have juggled with this and caring 24/7 requirements.
We have just had a Fluad flu jab, this took one online booking, a cancellation due to inadequate stocks and five phone calls. At last success.
My husband's hearing aids have failed after 5years, the audiologist has now sad he cannot replace these as our GP is now in the next county and there is no NHS financial arrangement with Northants a border county. Other counties including those who do not share a border can be seen in Oxfordshire. People travel from Warwick, Bedfordshire, Coventry etc.
So we have a stark choice of following the rules and getting a car and driver for at least two long journeys or going private.
We may not get an appointment for sometime. I am not even sure what the criteria would be in Northants. The originals were issued in Oxfordshire when NHS stood for National Health Service.
Loss of hearing affects the cognitive ability in Vascular conditions.

I feel exhausted, but these straws of phone calls, waiting and more phone call. Loss of transport, last minute confirmations of driver availability, is slowly wearing me down and out.
Today attending two minor appointments meant being out for seven hours.

I am sure people are in a similar boat but the insidious break up of what is falsely called a National Health Service is disabling many of us I am sure. Should I, if I only I had the energy, take the Health Minister to court under the trade discription act! Oh I wish!

Just getting out on time has its own problems! But that is another story including being woken in the small hours by an anxious man!

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can't believe being fitted with a NHS digital hearing aid depends on the county you live in. I'm embarrassed to say I have one in a drawer because it doesn't help me.

I will have to return it.

It must be exceedingly difficult to care full time when you have health issues of your own Alice. Your area seems to have drawn the short straw for NHS and LA support.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Round here you can get free NHS hearing aids either from the hospital or from many High Street places like Specsavers.
K

AliceA

May 27, 2016
My husband's first set were from the local hospital, then Specsavers were given a contract. The second set were digital and such an approvement. Since he was given them we moved four miles and changed GP to the village surgery that was a satalite to one about nine miles away. This seems the root of the problem.
If we could move back to our old one we would be covered but then there would be a conflict with social care. When my husband was seriously ill it was the local council that provided hospital at home when he was discharged, too soon.
We have been told to keep the non working aid in case a NHS one is returned and a part can be taken out and reused. A note has been put on the notes.

I fear making medical care difficult to access is a form of rationing and saving money.
The two audiologists at Specsavers have given excellent care, as has the optician. I came up against a border issue when I had my cataract operations. I had to get a special referral. This worked because the hospital was given permission to be used cross county.
I am having a similar situation over a continence clinic, that has to be in county. That is nearer that the hospital for the hearing aids.
I have just hit a bad patch as we both have so many appointments at the moment.
I do feel in a Catch 22 situation.

It does make a Carers lot so much more difficult, one has to prepare to get someone there and settle them when home.
These last three months I have spent many hours going in circles trying to make arrangements.

At bedtime a money 'problem' came up a memory triggered by the medical trips, I was just too tired but promised to deal with it today.
One of his jobs was as an accountant so seeing a lack of numerical skills proves a point. He can look so well when not tired. People tell me he must be all right then! Like many he can rise to the occasion but then it is all too much, I just want to wrap him in love and put him safe

Thank you both, I am feeling emotionally drained. The audiologist gave me a hug it was so difficult to refuse to give help. We are all affected by these restrictions.

When fit I must tackle the MP but the only thing on her mind is Brexit!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The system really seems to be failing you Alice. You sound physically and emotionally exhausted.

Have you considered asking for Direct Payments? These are paid in lieu of day care to enable you to get some of the support you need.

We were granted Direct Payments because my husband refused day care. We had a dementia trained carer from a Franchised agency. The carer helped with housework stayed with my husband while I had a break and even drove us to the venue for his diabetes eye check.

It would certainly help with your appointments if it could be arranged.

I'm not sure at what stage your husband is at and when I was making arrangements I had to be a little economical with the truth about the help. I said it was for me.

There are branches of this agency in your area but because I don't know precisely where you live I could only give you a link if it would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolinejohnson16@btinter