Strange religious ideas

Dalloway

Dec 22, 2019
My mother (91) and exhibiting early stages of dementia really scared me yesterday. She refused any, food, drink, washing saying that the bible had told her that December 21 was a day when we must not come into contact with water. Normally fastidiously clean she refused to let the carer wash her or to wash her hands after visiting the toilet. She spat at me and called me the devil’s daughter. She is not at all religious and has never done anything like this before. She remembers nothing of this today and is back to normal but puzzled why she woke up hungry and thirsty. Is this sort of behaviour normal in dementia? Can I expect it to happen rarely? Regularly? Any advice or information would really help. Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Dalloway and welcome to the forum.

How strange. I wondered if your mum has been checked out for an infection. My mum and my husband were always worse/behaviour strange when a UTI was about.

Dalloway

Dec 22, 2019
I’ve arranged to take a urine sample over to the doctor tomorrow as I’ve heard from others that urine infections can have strange consequences.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp