Still active, hardly eating?

Louise1964

Feb 27, 2023
Hi! I wonder if anyone else facing situation of elderly relative (Alzheimers) eating less but still remaining active. My 88 mum is getting so thin l can't believe she can keep going. She has 2 carer visits (breakfast, lunch) and myself (afternoon tea/supper). But increasingly is refusing food (says she will keep it for later) or at times puts in bin. Or, she will say she isn't hungry but then will gobble it up😩😥. We are all quite good at being calm about it....l am forever hiding ("just refreshing the tea pot" etc) in the kitchen so she will eat - she wants to give any food to me if l sit with her. Or popping things on her plate when she is distracted. She never realises....
😥 Seems to survive on sweet tea, one weetabix, small piece brown toast and jam, tiny lunch sandwich, individual egg custard tart and tiny plate at supper (quiche, tiny amount potato), small custard pot. We have tried a varying it but she is not keen. And not keen on veggies/fruit due to toiletting issues. And she still potters in garden, goes for walk around block, gets dressed,puts self to bed, washes up! I guess l am just curious if anyone else has similiar experiences. She does like a sherry or two! Think l need a laugh!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi @Louise1964 I think it's fairly common for someone's appetite or eating habits to change in mid/late stage. Rather than having set meals it can help to leave some nibbles out for 'grazing' on during the day, things like cherry tomatoes, cheese, small pieces of soft fruit eg melon, bananas. My mum is eating smaller portions now and much prefers sweet things but that is fine, as long as she eats, so things like mousses, yoghurts, jelly, ice cream. She sometimes clamps her mouth shut but will open it (like a baby bird!) if I ask if she wants any chocolate mousse. If your mum is eating less but still being active then that will result in some weight loss so if concerned it might be an idea to have a chat with the GP as they can make a referral to a dietician and also prescribe supplement drinks such as Ensure or Fortisip if they feel that your mum needs this. This factsheet has sections covering poor appetite and changing in eating habits so might be helpful too:

Louise1964

Feb 27, 2023
Thank you. She used to graze more. And we have had the supplement drinks but didn't take to them. I am going to contact GP. And keep going with sweet tea, treats and so on.
Relentless disease. Thinking of you too.