Statins And Dementia.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think sue is right. I have a load of Warfarin tablets that cannot be returned to the chemist as they have been prescribed to me. Well, they can be returned but not re-issued. It seems such a waste when none have even been opened.

Sue is right, they go back to the pharmacy for safe disposal (not a good idea to put drugs into the bin) they are not re-issued. They could have been tampered with, that's why there are signs all over GP surgeries and Pharmacy advising people not to order more drugs than they need.

Lexy I think you may have missed the main point of Twiddler's post

I have a defective chromosome - number 19 to be precise.

It is a genetic disorder and my children may well have it to (teenagers not tested.....yet)

This thing I have is called Familial hypercholesterolemia.
I produce very high levels of LDL cholesterol (the bad one), the condition has been with me since birth and without treatment I could have had a heart attack long before now.

I think she's explaining it isn't a choice for her, it's life-saving.

Yes, we all will eventually die, but the type of lifestyle you live will have a some bearing on what you die of.

'some bearing' indeed... there are many variables in life.
There are none in the inevitability of death.

Smokers who live to be 100+ and health freaks that drop dead when they're 30.

Then there are little women like my Mam who lived her life within all the normal ranges and developed dementia,
then there is my friend who has never smoked but has terminal lung cancer,

then there's my postman who has just been diagnosed with testicular cancer,

then there was my OH's Aunty Mary who lived until she 102, smoked until she was in her 90's, travelled the world 5 times, drank wine with her dinner, brandy after it, ate suet puddings and dripping and bread.

Then there was my daughter who had chromosomal abnormalities and died when she was 18 month old,
then there was my neighbours son who had chromosomal disorders and died when he was 33.

Then there was my Dad who worked all his life in the pit and died a year after his retirement.

Lifestyle?

It's called life.

And it's followed by death.

But science can intervene and help people to live a more comfortable, longer life.

A healthy lifestyle does the same but it does not prevent the inevitable.

Choices.
Some of us have them. Some don't.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Sue is right, they go back to the pharmacy for safe disposal (not a good idea to put drugs into the bin) they are not re-issued. They could have been tampered with, that's why there are signs all over GP surgeries and Pharmacy advising people not to order more drugs than they need.

Not in our surgery and repeat prescriptions are issued automatically by the designated pharmacy.
Also if a patient hasn't been told that the medication can be discontinued then more will be issued regardless.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Who knows, this was a headline in yesterday's paper:

Taking statins 'increases your risk of getting type 2 diabetes' by nearly half because drugs can prevent insulin from working properly.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...f-drugs-prevent-insulin-working-properly.html

Here's another one:
Gout sufferers 'have less chance of developing Alzheimer's': Sufferers risk of developing condition is reduced by a quarter
•Researchers say gout sufferers reduce risk of Alzheimer's disease by 24%
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...isk-developing-condition-reduced-quarter.html

So I'm of to the Co-Op for some port and stilton, I'd rather have a wonky big toe than wonky grey matter. As it happens my Dad had gout and he was still doing the Telegraph cryptic crossword until the end well after my mother had started to decline mentally.
I wonder if anyone's thought to ask if it's the condition itself or the medication that's taken for it that could be the reason or that people with gout generally take a lot of pain relief. Men are 3 times more likely than women to have gout apparently.
K

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
It's too easy to point the finger at high cholesterol levels. Mine is 6.2, but my GOOD cholesterol is 3. Therefore the total is not necessarily indicative of the need for statins.

I was prescribed statins a year or so ago, I took them for a week, but was waking each morning with a terrible headache. I stopped them for two weeks, and my headaches disappeared, I tried them again only to have the headaches return, :eek: that was it, no more.

The good and bad cholesterols should be concentrated on more than the overall total.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
No Garnuft....

Many of us may inherit certain types of illness from our parents and no pills can do anything about this indefinitely..

I am sorry that your Dad died aged 53.
I am not yet 53 and I take statins because I don' want to die just yet, I feel that they are my best option.

I think the incidents you are referring to in your post are very much in the minority.

What is it that makes the minority so small and insignificant?

- Twiddler x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello Sue J

Did the doctor have your family member's blood sugar levels assessed because I think they are supposed to before someone is prescribed statins.

I don't know but am sure he would have, he is a good GP.

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
looking back over the last few treads - for me my gout is a good thing viz anti D and I take a small 20 mg dose of satins because its anti PCa - which I have in spades but at 78 its like the CW song One day at a time....Pills for everything now trouble is knowing which to swallow and those to bin...
Keep on Dancing & dont get caught ...mo43

H20

Jan 31, 2010
Was watching Sky news early yesterday morning when they have a few items from CBS America and they said America has developed something called Evolocumab which comes in injection form and they are doing trials, giving an injection to people once a week who are already on Statins to help make Cholesterol even lower :eek:...what they also say is "how low is too low"?
They admit that Cholesterol plays an important role in our bodies from brain function to the fact that most hormones are produced from Cholesterol.
Far too scary for me I'm afraid. :(

Last edited:

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Was watching Sky news early yesterday morning when they have a few items from CBS America and they said America has developed something called Evolocumab which comes in injection form and they are doing trials, giving an injection to people once a week who are already on Statins to help make Cholesterol even lower :eek:...what they also say is "how low is too low"?
They admit that Cholesterol plays an important role in our bodies from brain function to the fact that most hormones are produced from Cholesterol.
Far too scary for me I'm afraid. :(

sounds like a snake oil product = mo43 wont swallow...;)

H20

Jan 31, 2010
Do you notice the only websites that you can read any in depth information about statins etc is always on American websites?

Agreed. Maybe it's because Americans are not shy to sue companies and so more information is available to them...I always feel us Brits are a bit too trusting where Doctors are concerned and are happy to go along with whatever they recommend....we're a nation that don't like to speak out for fear of making trouble....things have to change. ;)

Another article in yesterdays Daily Mail...click on link to read.

Taking statins 'increases your risk of getting type 2 diabetes' by nearly half because drugs can prevent insulin from working properly
LINK: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...f-drugs-prevent-insulin-working-properly.html

H20

Jan 31, 2010
Well it can be done and I'm the proof.

At the start of the year my Cholesterol was 6.3 and as I said previously in this thread my GP wanted me to take Statins to reduce it.
I declined and said that I would prefer to try to reduce it myself before I resorted to medication I didn't particularly agree with....so after two months of trying I went for a blood test last week and have just received the results.....5.3 :) oh yes!
Cutting out all the processed sugar,fats and eating a benecol yogurt each day.
I have lost two stone and feel much better for it and all my blood test results have come back much lower than anyone expected...even my GP was gobsmacked...she said, I have to hand it to you, no one I know has done it that quick and got down so low :D egg on her face eh. :D
I've still got a bit to go as I'd like to get it down to 5.0 but hey ho I don't think I've done too badly. :)
So the moral of this story is that Cholesterol can be reduced through diet alone, it just takes will power and determination. :)

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Well it can be done and I'm the proof.

At the start of the year my Cholesterol was 6.3 and as I said previously in this thread my GP wanted me to take Statins to reduce it.
I declined and said that I would prefer to try to reduce it myself before I resorted to medication I didn't particularly agree with....so after two months of trying I went for a blood test last week and have just received the results.....5.3 :) oh yes!
Cutting out all the processed sugar,fats and eating a benecol yogurt each day.
I have lost two stone and feel much better for it and all my blood test results have come back much lower than anyone expected...even my GP was gobsmacked...she said, I have to hand it to you, no one I know has done it that quick and got down so low :D egg on her face eh. :D
I've still got a bit to go as I'd like to get it down to 5.0 but hey ho I don't think I've done too badly. :)
So the moral of this story is that Cholesterol can be reduced through diet alone, it just takes will power and determination. :)

My husband was found to have extremely high cholesterol about 15 years ago, he was very slim, very fit and ate a healthy diet with almost no saturated fat, his Dr put him on statins as there was no other option. His dad died at the age of 52 from a heart attack caused by arteriosclerosis and his brother also has very high cholesterol. Sometimes there is no other choice.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Let's face it, everybody's different. We should know that, dealing with dementia. So..I'm overweight, always have been, but my cholesterol is normal and I don't have diabetes ( yet! Practically all cousins have it). As has been pointed out, even the slim, healthy people can die early. My slim OH has got high cholesterol and, I'm guessing from past operations, has had it most of his life.
The only solution is to choose your parents well!