Starting Off

colincampsite

Jun 4, 2011
Darlington
My wife and I are visiting the UK from our base in Spain. She (66) has experienced memory loss from 11 years ago, which is when I decided to take her away and relax for the last 30+ years. Over the last year she has become very much worse, to the point of not knowing friends and relatives and losing her sense of direction almost completely. I have cooked every meal for the last 11 years and am almost her full-time carer. I don´t have to dress her yet but do have to advise on what to wear and when to put it on. We have got as far as seeing the Doctor who thinks she will have to be referred to the Memory Clinic (whatever that is). Today she is having a blood test.
I recognise those who post on this forum saying about the same questions over and over again. I think I have learned to cope with that by controlling my natural tendency to lose my rag. I like the advice from someone who suggested going out into the garden and screeming.
Although it has been going on for so long, I feel that we are just starting out in a new direction. I would welcome any comments as I know I am not the only one in this position. Have any of you any advice on where else to look for help or this the best place?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Colin

Welcome to Talking Point.

Eleven years is a long time to have struggled singlehandedly .

From what I have gathered on TP, the term `Memory Clinic` can have a variety of meanings. It`s a term never used in the six years since my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I can only suggest you take each appointment as it comes and ask about support and help available. So much will depend on whether you will continue to live in Spain or stay in the UK.

TP is a very supportive Forum and there are also Fact Sheets available for every step of the way. Just click on the link at the top of the page.

It took me a year to get a diagnosis for my husband as other conditions had to be ruled out first. It doesn`t sound as if this will happen with you and your wife as she seems to be further down the road

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Colin:
Welcome to Talking Point from me. I am sorry to hear about your wife and admire you coping so long. I am wondering too whether you are intending to stay in Spain and what sort of support you will get over there.

In our case the 'memory clinic' consisted of a visit from the Mental Health Nurse to do a memory test, this seemed to justify the prescription for Aricept as my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers/?Mixed Dementia. If the Memory Nurse felt there was a need she reported to the Consultant who planned yearly visits.

In other areas the clinics seem to be run within a hospital setting.

I hope you find Talking Point helpful.
Best wishes

colincampsite

Jun 4, 2011
Darlington
The intention was to spend the rest of our days in Spain so we became residents. Unfortunately the Spanish medical side of it, whilst being brilliant at everything else, is lacking with regards to this problem. I will have to wait until we see the Doc in two weeks with the blood test results.
Hello Colin:
Welcome to Talking Point from me. I am sorry to hear about your wife and admire you coping so long. I am wondering too whether you are intending to stay in Spain and what sort of support you will get over there.

In our case the 'memory clinic' consisted of a visit from the Mental Health Nurse to do a memory test, this seemed to justify the prescription for Aricept as my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers/?Mixed Dementia. If the Memory Nurse felt there was a need she reported to the Consultant who planned yearly visits.

In other areas the clinics seem to be run within a hospital setting.

I hope you find Talking Point helpful.
Best wishes