Start-up pharmaceutical advice appreciated - or ideas of where to go for this

Brokenpoet

Nov 18, 2022
Hello everyone, my first post. Would really like to learn more from any pharmaceutically trained users than I've been able to find out from GP and memory clinic about what meds best support someone with (a) mixed dementia (Alzheimer's and vascular) (b) double incontinence (c) a history of two kinds of cancer that have required chemo and radiotherapy so lower intestines are more delicate now (d) increasing agitation and hot temper, especially in evenings and at night (e) dizziness with inner ear issues and (f) high blood pressure. I would so love my OH (he's in late 80s) to be happier in his own skin than he is now, and to be able to sleep better myself! ATM, OH is on Donepezil, among other things.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Brokenpoet.

You say in your post that you would -

really like to learn more from any pharmaceutically trained users

I’m afraid you won’t get any advice from professionals on this forum as it’s against the forum rules for professionals to post advice. What you will get though is support and understanding from members who will be able to share their own experiences with you.

I think it would be best for you to contact your husband’s GP and his memory clinic staff to try to get more clarification on your husbands medications and needs.

This link will give some information on dementia drugs although I see your husband is already on Donepezil -

This gives some information on dealing with incontinence -

There’s some information on agitation and sundowning here -

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Presumably some things (e.g. high blood pressure) are already being medicated and you mention he is on donepezil for his dementia.

I totally get that you'd love him to be more happy, but I'm not sure there's a pill for that! Ditto incontinence - once that starts it has to be managed and unfortunately can't be fixed.

What I hear more than anything in your post is your desire to fix things and make him better - totally understandable but very hard to achieve. However, you could probably get him something for the evening agitation, also known as 'sundowning'. Anti-anxiety meds can sometimes help with this though some have a sedative effect that can lead to the person falling over, etc, so these risks have to be measured against any benefits.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can ask the pharmacist who dispenses his medication for a (free) medication review.
The pharmacist should check that he understands why each med is prescribed and is following the correct regimen. They should also inform him of any contraindications and inform prescriber if severe.
The review will be limited without access to his medical records.

Brokenpoet

Nov 18, 2022
To all, who replied, thank you for these comments and suggestions. I will see what the pharmacist says and go back to the GP for further ideas.