Standing on the edge of the abyss and screaming

CoastalPair

Jan 26, 2022
Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with mixed dementia, primarily Alzheimers with some Vascular and now I am slowly becoming someone else.

Who I am can change between Grandson and older brother, or younger brother. Attempting to tell my wife that I am actually her husband distresses her, and nor is it possible to deflect or change her mind.

When this happens I have to keep leaving the room, and house, i.e. taking the dog for a walk and then in what is becoming and increasingly forlorn hope that when I walk back into the house the recognition has switched back to normal and I am recognised, however this then means that my wife gets upset with me because I wasn’t at home, and I did not chase away the interlopers.

This recognition can also change suddenly during the day and even worse, in the evening, which then means we cannot go to bed together because understandably she doesn’t want to share her bed with anyone else other than her husband. I then end up sleeping on the sofa to avoid distressing her any further, however then she gets upset with me when recognition switches back because I wasn’t in bed and did not chase away the others.

Attempting to improve the situation we have got some additional locks, and alarms on each door, the idea being that no one else can get into the house and once we have locked up, there is just the two of us. Then every evening I insist we go through the ritual together of locking the doors, checking they are secure, checking every room in the house that they are empty, reassuring my wife that it is just us. It doesn’t make a blind bit of difference and I can change from her husband to someone completely different even as we walk up the stairs together.

So how does one deal with that, my wife will readily admit that the interloper looks remarkably like me, wears my clothes, drives my car, even drinking a cup of tea in exactly the same way, but still she will not recognise me as her husband.

This is not just short term memory being affected, after all we have over forty-three years of being together, her elder brother is 20 years my senior and she has not seen him since the funeral of her Mother some 30 years ago, if he is indeed still alive, the grandson is many years my junior and so very much taller, and yet none of that matters.

Initially for my wife, seeing other people in my place is so very real, frighteningly real and she is was getting more and more upset and agitated, even tearful and frightened as each day passes and it is becoming increasingly difficult to smooth over the inconsistencies for her. On good days we have now talked about this rationally, me explaining that I accept that for her it is real and I am someone else but in reality it is the Alzheimer’s causing the confusion. As a result, my wife, when she remembers the conversations, can accept that there is something wrong and while the problems are definitely increasing, some of the initial agitation felt by my wife have calmed down.

But sadly and in the last few months, this problem is increasing on an almost weekly basis, there is now never a day that goes by with my wife seeing someone else other than me, and now this is not confined to just one episode per day, it can be three or four times in one day, it is becoming impossible to resolve for her.

I can find no specific advice on how to deal this this, how to try and make it better for the both of us, and each day a part of me is ripped away and discarded like meaningless trash. It is no ones fault, there is no one to blame, and you cannot fight it, you can only stand on the edge of the abyss and scream.

I do not know how much support other people have had, but here my experience is that the memory clinic has a policy of diagnosis, discharge, ignore and our local GP’s only effort was “if your wife gets violent, call the police,” otherwise they are simply not interested and provide no support, no assistance and no help whatsoever.

So how does one deal with the problem? any advice on workable strategies gratefully received.

Thank you...

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Others will be along with more direct experience, but...

There are really only two solutions. First is to get her to the GP. It's possible she has an infection that is making things worse or it could just be the progression of her dementia. From what you've said, I would suspect the latter. I don't know if she is currently on any meds but there are some drugs that can be given (in some circumstances) that can ameliorate the delusions somewhat. They don't work for everyone. There are often side effects. Some people can't take them.

If there are no meds to help or if that's not appropriate/possible, it going to depend on how angry she gets. It's not unusual for people with dementia to no longer recognise those around them or to confuse them with other family members. Sometimes it can work to agree and say, 'he/she is not here right now but will be back later.' And you've already tried going out and coming back in, which I was going to suggest. Often, part of the problem is that when she thinks of her husband, the picture she sees in her mind is of a much younger man, because people with dementia tend to live in the past. So she sees you and you look far too old! Please don't take offence - I remember when my mum said she couldn't possibly have a daughter as old as me... :)

The other solution is that it might be time to consider whether she might be better in a care home.

But it's unlikely you will persuade her she is mistaken and as you've found, the days when she is lucid enough to understand/remember your explanations are getting fewer.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @CoastalPair welcome to the forum.

I’ve had no direct experience of this with my PWD but I do remember someone saying that leaving the room for a few minutes and the announcing themselves by name and relationship (and offering a cuppa) on returning sometimes worked.

CoastalPair

Jan 26, 2022
Others will be along with more direct experience, but...

There are really only two solutions. First is to get her to the GP. It's possible she has an infection that is making things worse or it could just be the progression of her dementia. From what you've said, I would suspect the latter. I don't know if she is currently on any meds but there are some drugs that can be given (in some circumstances) that can ameliorate the delusions somewhat. They don't work for everyone. There are often side effects. Some people can't take them.

If there are no meds to help or if that's not appropriate/possible, it going to depend on how angry she gets. It's not unusual for people with dementia to no longer recognise those around them or to confuse them with other family members. Sometimes it can work to agree and say, 'he/she is not here right now but will be back later.' And you've already tried going out and coming back in, which I was going to suggest. Often, part of the problem is that when she thinks of her husband, the picture she sees in her mind is of a much younger man, because people with dementia tend to live in the past. So she sees you and you look far too old! Please don't take offence - I remember when my mum said she couldn't possibly have a daughter as old as me... :)

The other solution is that it might be time to consider whether she might be better in a care home.

But it's unlikely you will persuade her she is mistaken and as you've found, the days when she is lucid enough to understand/remember your explanations are getting fewer.
Thank you for your response, it is appreciated, the only medication prescribed by the memory clinic is 10mg of Donepezil, which I get the impression is the "go to" medication - I shall attempt to explore possible medication for the delusions, if it is indeed possible to get a Doctor's appointment.

CoastalPair

Jan 26, 2022
Hi @CoastalPair welcome to the forum.

I’ve had no direct experience of this with my PWD but I do remember someone saying that leaving the room for a few minutes and the announcing themselves by name and relationship (and offering a cuppa) on returning sometimes worked.
Thank you very much for your response, it is appreciated, I have tried leaving and re-entering the room, but not actually announcing myself when I do re-enter - I shall give it a try...

HardToLetGo

Oct 10, 2020
How difficult for you both and distressing, I would ask for a GP meds review and a referral for social care support, perhaps investigating day centres for a change of scene and person for your wife and a rest for you. Maybe contacting age concern might help. Been through this delusion with my Mum, Mirazapine helped but took a little time to adjust on it but worth it. Very sad, sorry this is happening.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
maybe ask for a referral to older peoples mental health as they can assess and prescribe meds as well and are more expert than gp. my gp did this and it helped my husband with his aggression

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @CoastalPair
It is always distressing when someone doesnt recognise their loved one - both for the loved one and for the person with dementia. It often starts just occasionally (often in the evening and night) but becomes more often as time goes on.

I would like to point out that medication may reduce your wifes distress, but there is nothing that will enable her to recognise you again when she doesnt. Im afraid that trying to persuade her that you are indeed her husband is unlikely to work long term (as you are discovering). Dementia does not respond to logic or reasoning, Im afraid. You have already tried most of the tips that sometimes work in the early stages. I think you may have to enter her "reality" and try to reassure her instead. You may find this link to compassionate communication helpful

CoastalPair

Jan 26, 2022
Hey Canary

Thank you for your response, it is appreciated and having read the suggested article, I found it most helpful.