Standards for temperatures in residential care homes

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
Does anyone know whether/what standard temperatures are recommended for care homes please? It can feel quite cold in the one where my relative lives. I asked Age UK and they didn't know. They told me to contact the CQC but I just wanted a guide not to report anyone. I would have though that might be something on which they would take an interested as it affects the comfort and safety of residents.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
gosh ChristinaG, I'm surprised
I often have to strip off layers when visiting dad as the home is kept very warm - the residents generally feel the cold easily, many not being very mobile, and want to be able to spend the day in light clothing
so if the home feels quite cold to you, I wonder how it feels for the residents
as to standard temperatures, I don't know, but am just going to visit dad so will ask the staff and let you know what they say

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Around 21/22 degrees is about normal for our own homes to be comfortable, care homes are usually above this. Like Shedrech I always had to strip off when I visited my husband.

The windows were always open a little way, with the heating still up high.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I tried to find this out some time ago and did not get anywhere useful.

Start at
http://www.dignityincare.org.uk/_li...ipcomment/csci_national_minimum_standards.pdf

then go via building regs and end up at

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/faq.htm

this gives minimum temperature for employees as
16°C or
13°C if much of the work involves rigorous physical effort

which is far lower than the AgeUK recommendation

Keep your main living room around 70°F (21°C), and the rest of your home heated to at least 64°F (18°C).

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/health-wellbeing/keeping-your-body-healthy/winter-wrapped-up/keeping-warm/

Having said that in my experience care homes are usually maintained at a high temperature.

What temperatures are your home and workplace maintained at?

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
My mother feels the cold and wears layers of woollies when the rest of us are sweating. All the same, in her first care home, it was sometimes cold because the thermostat in the corridor was right next to a radiator, so it would shut down, and then the radiator in Mum's room would go so low that it was hardly on at all.

In the current home, Mum's room is sometimes cold because they've left a window open for necessary ventilation (because of bed-wetting, I think).

But I have noticed that there seems to be a trend not to have places heated like they used to be - hospitals used to be very warm but now they're pretty chilly & they don't give patients enough of those flimsy hospital blankets.

I think elderly people do need it a bit warmer.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
. . . . .
But I have noticed that there seems to be a trend not to have places heated like they used to be - hospitals used to be very warm but now they're pretty chilly & they don't give patients enough of those flimsy hospital blankets.
That's something I've noticed too, over the past 4 years or so. Certainly when M-i-L was in hospital recently, who was 'freezing cold' unless the temperature was about 28 degrees :eek:, didn't have nearly enough blankets to really keep her warm as she was used to.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi ChristinaG
I did ask, and though they all thought above 21, no-one knew if there was a set standard - we all agreed that the home has to be warmer than we would have our own homes as the residents need to be protected from being cold and either not realising it or not being able to tell anyone or do anything about it themselves
I'd be concerned if I was visiting dad and I regularly felt that the home was less than comfortably warm (on occasion an area or a room is cooler as a window's been opened for good reason)
best wishes

Last edited:

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Not much different here in New Zealand.
Mums care home seems to be set to warm or roasting, especially when the summer sun is streaming in.
Mum can be comfortably warm when we are sweating, but it isn't till Mum sweats and it runs down her face that she is aware that she is hot.
Even in summer where a short sleeve blouse or top is required, she will say it is cold and want a cardi on.

The care homes air con & heating is constantly being switched up and down.

Samantha1977

Jan 16, 2017
When mil went for respite we felt that the temperature was quite warm (it was in December so freezing outside) but several windows were open for ventilation but the home was still quite warm.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Talking Point mobile app

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
Thank you fur your replies

Many thanks for all your replies. The temp fluctuates from a comfortable 21/22 to 15 degrees which is painfully cold for mum who likes to wear a vest, top and fleece/Cardie throughout the year. The heating/hot water system has also failed 3/4 times in the past year to my certain knowledge. I seem to notice it before the staff as they are always on the go. I hated leaving my mum with no heating or hot water on those occasions. I am told they now have a contract where they can call for it to be repaired on an emergency basis but I'm not sure it works like that. The building is modern so it is quite surprising to have these problems. I have had a look at the document links provided which are useful, but would seem there is no formal standard I can point to. I do recall the office temp standards are pretty low so they don't help. I too was very cold in hospital after an op last year and so was mum when she was admitted although I brought in some blankets so it is possible heating temp are being lowered in some cases. When mum was at home she had an even temp of 23 degrees all the time. I wish I could help her as I feel her discomfort but although I hear the occasional grumble about being cold most residents can't say and one or two who can seem to prefer it that way.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi ChristinaG
please do say something to the manager of the home - those residents who can't speak out are reliant on the care staff to keep them comfortable and any temperature which seems cool to visitors will be too cold for most residents - the temperature of the home has to be set for the residents NOT the staff, and for the majority of residents not just the few who can cope with/like the cooler atmosphere
I asked again when I visited yesterday, another set of staff, and we all agreed that for us the home is overly warm but for the residents it has to be that way - some at dad's home will not wear lots of clothing (why should they when they spend all their time indoors) and would be at risk if the temperature were not kept steady
I'm shocked that the heating system has failed so often; I'd be complaining pretty heartily if that were the case where my dad lives
best wishes

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I imagine the rules for workplace temperatures wouldn't be suitable for elderly inactive residents, so there must be a common sense solution. Care Homes should surely be right for the residents, not the carers, as it is their home.

My husband's Care Home is usually comfortably warm, but not too hot as they open windows for fresh air, and then they make sure everyone who can't move has a cosy blanket. They have a pile in the two sitting rooms, ready.

My only concern is that his bathroom is chilly, something I hope can be remedied before next winter.

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
It must be worrying to find your Mum in a chilly room. If she is like mine she won't be able to tell anyone whether she is hot or cold, so she is going to be vulnerable to illness.

I looked up temperature recommendations when Mum moved into my home last year and came across the same range (21 degree C for a living room and 18 elsewhere). I think the recommendations have been brought down a notch from previously.

When I registered Mum as a 'vulnerable person' for the electricity supplier, they sent a really useful cardboard thermometer which gives the acceptable range and 'too cold' and 'too hot' on it, and I keep this in her room to give me an easy reference; I seem to remember getting one in a newborn baby pack too so maybe Mothercare has them.

The other thing I've done is buy some thin thermal long-sleeved tops for Mum to wear every day, and she has some fleece jackets to wear on top which keep her cosy.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I imagine the rules for workplace temperatures wouldn't be suitable for elderly inactive residents, so there must be a common sense solution. Care Homes should surely be right for the residents, not the carers, as it is their home."

Agree absolutely.

Can you find any legislation to support this?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell