Staffing at care home

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
What are people’s experiences of staffing at care homes? Some days there seem to be lots of staff but at weekends it seems very lacking and there will always be the same group of people in the lounge who are left on their own for large parts of the day. I’ve noticed minor incidents of aggression and incontinence which hasn’t been noticed by staff as there’s no one around.

Last edited:

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
What are people’s experiences of staffing at care homes? Some days there seem to be lots of staff but at weekends it seems very lacking and there will always be the same group of people in the lounge who are left on their own for large parts of the day. I’ve noticed minor incidents of aggression and incontinence which hasn’t been noticed by staff as there’s no one around. One lady tried to scratch my mum's face just before we arrived yesterday and this wasn’t witnessed by any staff members, just one other resident who intervened. My mum was terrified and I’ll have to report it to the manager
💗 The same... not many staff at the weekend and a largish group of residents always in the lounge which seems to be the hub where staff are.

I haven't witnessed the group being left alone though where Dad is although I suppose it could happen if there was an emergency for example or several people in the lounge needed help at the same time.

It leaves others like my Dad on their own in their rooms if they don't want to sit in the lounge. Saturday I helped an elderly lady with her tv and she told me she felt very low and upset, we had a chat and she settled herself in her chair waiting for her favourite program to come on. Sometimes I have had occasion to go and get staff from the lounge when the alarms have gone off or I have seen someone in need of help during a visit.

They have where Dad is virtually a rolling recruitment advert so staffing must always be an issue.

You should definitely report to the manager and if another resident had to intervene that could be very upsetting for them too and they could also have been hurt. No-one should be feeling frightened on top of everything else people feel with their illness.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Yes, I’m seeing similar issues in my dads care home. There are also more agency staff being used than when he first went there. Some of them don’t even know his name or really basic things that are in his care plan. I understand there is a national problem with recruitment so this is likely to be having an impact for many.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
My husband's Nursing Home seems well staffed, the lounge has one member of staff who remains there at all times. If they need to leave someone covers for them. Bells are answered very promptly and there seems to be plenty of time to interact with residents who want to stay in their rooms.
They recruit from overseas and have company houses for families. Many of the families have both husband and wife working in the Home.
This is an expensive Home,we would never have been able to afford any Home as we have never had that sort of income. My husband was placed there as no other Home could cope with him.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Yes, I’m seeing similar issues in my dads care home. There are also more agency staff being used than when he first went there. Some of them don’t even know his name or really basic things that are in his care plan. I understand there is a national problem with recruitment so this is likely to be having an impact for many.
I forgot to add that as well agency staff are used although they try and over staff to prevent this and sometimes the challenge of learning another language makes communication hard.

My Dad is also I sadly say holding some rather horrible view points on this and isn't afraid to say so. I am cringing even typing this. 🫤

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
My husband's Nursing Home seems well staffed, the lounge has one member of staff who remains there at all times. If they need to leave someone covers for them. Bells are answered very promptly and there seems to be plenty of time to interact with residents who want to stay in their rooms.
They recruit from overseas and have company houses for families. Many of the families have both husband and wife working in the Home.
This is an expensive Home,we would never have been able to afford any Home as we have never had that sort of income. My husband was placed there as no other Home could cope with him.
💗

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
I forgot to add that as well agency staff are used although they try and over staff to prevent this and sometimes the challenge of learning another language makes communication hard.

My Dad is also I sadly say holding some rather horrible view points on this and isn't afraid to say so. I am cringing even typing this. 🫤
My husband has also said some bad things which is odd as he was never a prejudiced person

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020

It can be really difficult. I think my Dad is pretty respectful of people of different nationalities on the whole but does let the odd old fashioned statement slip which I agree can be really awkward. It becomes a problem when the person doesn’t pronounce words in a way he can understand and also they can’t always understand him. It can become almost comical with him saying to me, ‘what did she say ?’ and then them asking me ‘what is he talking about ?’ I do believe though that communication is so difficult for many people with dementia that it is really important to get this right. It is important that staff are able to communicate fluently and clearly using the English language and feel disappointed for my Dad when this doesn’t seem to be always happening. Lots of the staff from overseas are brilliant though and I have a huge amount of respect for people who are carrying out a very challenging job and speak a second language while doing it.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
This sounds very similar to our situation…
But even with good staffing I don’t think incidents can always be prevented as staff can’t have eyes on everyone.

Do report it tho as the aggressive resident may need a medication change or they should at least keep more eyes on them etc

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I witnessed a resident falling asleep at the opposite dinner table with a cup of tea in their hand that eventually spilt into the persons lap, I thought surely the staff have noticed him falling a sleep and will intervene ...but no...obviously it meant a change of clothing for the resident.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
It’s a shame as she’s settled in well and gets on well with a group of ladies. It’s been very good for her capacity and most of the staff are great. This is the only incident that I know of involving my mum. The care worker said they desperately need someone at all times in the lounge and the subject has been brought up but not acted upon. The home has always had the best reputation in the town and we’ve known so many people who have gone there or volunteer there but the management leaves a lot to be desired

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
It can be really difficult. I think my Dad is pretty respectful of people of different nationalities on the whole but does let the odd old fashioned statement slip which I agree can be really awkward. It becomes a problem when the person doesn’t pronounce words in a way he can understand and also they can’t always understand him. It can become almost comical with him saying to me, ‘what did she say ?’ and then them asking me ‘what is he talking about ?’ I do believe though that communication is so difficult for many people with dementia that it is really important to get this right. It is important that staff are able to communicate fluently and clearly using the English language and feel disappointed for my Dad when this doesn’t seem to be always happening. Lots of the staff from overseas are brilliant though and I have a huge amount of respect for people who are carrying out a very challenging job and speak a second language while doing it.
❤️Absolutely communication and finding words is a challenge for people with dementia and for older people the world must seem so very different however I still pull Dad up on anything unkind and unnecessary, even with a Dad what the hell? voice lol

Without a variety of people the world would be a very dull place. Everyone brings something to someone.

I am really thankful for anyone brave enough and kind enough to care, it is a hard job x

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
My husband has also said some bad things which is odd as he was never a prejudiced person
💞 I really struggle listening to these sorts of things and I do say errr Dad really ??? there is no need for that... I know some of the illness will be restricting the filters and empathy but even so sometimes you just feel errr no that isn't nice so stop.

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
It’s a shame as she’s settled in well and gets on well with a group of ladies. It’s been very good for her capacity and most of the staff are great. This is the only incident that I know of involving my mum. The care worker said they desperately need someone at all times in the lounge and the subject has been brought up but not acted upon. The home has always had the best reputation in the town and we’ve known so many people who have gone there or volunteer there but the management leaves a lot to be desired
I'm so sorry someone tried to harm your Mum. OMG. I give you credit for handling it so well.
Is your Mum better?

My Ma has "settled" according to them and seems well fed (too much - still working on this) and has made some friends.

For me it's the communication aspect - or lack thereof from the care home as a whole. I think it's also the night time staff that have the tough shifts which are agency too.
And the manager is a ... I don't think I'm allowed to write what she is.
The staff for the most part are great though. I think all the care homes are severely understaffed. The care homes make a fortune and the staff do not.

I noticed a bruise on Ma's face which no-one knew anything about. Ma said she may have fallen and doesn't remember. Then the day time staff said, no - no reports and I find that the night time staff reported the bruise as well as another on her file. :(

I'm still at the "what have I done" point now and again and when this kind of thing comes up, I start looking for live-in care, which I can't afford and feel hopeless and rinse, repeat.

So it's a matter of the pros and cons. I go back to the list. And even when she was at home I had a terrible time finding staff.

Would you report this also to social services?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
In terms of reporting to SS I think I would probably report if a resident was injured ie had bruisIng, scratchmarks or other noticeable harm. That is a safeguarding as a vulnerable adult has been not protected from harm.

I am afraid tho I am a little unsure quite what would happen as a result ….not much I imagine unless a particular care home seemed to have a lot of safeguarding incidents and was thoroughly investigated. Which I have to say does happen…..I have known councils to withdraw sending people as the homes are not deemed to be good enough and too risky.

There aren’t easy answers sadly in dementia care 😢😢

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I noticed a bruise on Ma's face which no-one knew anything about.
Older people bruise easily especially if on certain medications.

My wife was on low dose aspirin which meant a photograph and report at the day centre every time she had her blood pressure taken, difficult as sometimes I had taken her blood pressure.

Does she bruise easily, is she on any medication?

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Older people bruise easily especially if on certain medications.

My wife was on low dose aspirin which meant a photograph and report at the day centre every time she had her blood pressure taken, difficult as sometimes I had taken her blood pressure.

Does she bruise easily, is she on any medication?
She does and so do I (I'm on major blood thinners - more meds than Ma - LOL)

That's not the issue though. It's the lack of communication. It's what I have dealt with from the beginning and again, I'm very "OMG, what have I done, let me over-react to every single thing". I'm aware of that.

When I called to speak to Ma (video), she was in obvious pain. She yelped when she got up. She can't remember but something happened. So I need to tell her key-worker, give her a pain med.

It's still a good care home. But I think all of this needs to be documented and someone else is responsible for any bruises or scratches like @jackdog35 situation, then absolutely. Even if all for naught. At some point, someone/somewhere must pay attention.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
In my mums home, every incident is reported to safeguarding, so even if there is not a mark on mum, I will get a call to tell me she was involved in something.

RNcaregiver

Mar 5, 2023
What are people’s experiences of staffing at care homes? Some days there seem to be lots of staff but at weekends it seems very lacking and there will always be the same group of people in the lounge who are left on their own for large parts of the day. I’ve noticed minor incidents of aggression and incontinence which hasn’t been noticed by staff as there’s no one around.
hello @jackdog35…
my experience is about the same. the staff changes often and most of them dont ever look like they want to be bothered. my mom has been in the CH for almost a year now, and most of the staff i considered “good” with her have left due to low pay. its a shame we pay so much for these facilities only for them to underpay staff. as a nurse myself, i know this is a problem everywhere. im not particularly happy with how much the staff isn’t interested in building a rapport w/ my mom, but i dont have the energy to look for another home. i still think the pros outweighs the cons for now, as it is a beautiful facility and my mom is safe and happy. she is still fairly independent, but i think as she declines and becomes incontinent, it has the potential to become an issue. take care of yourself!