Split Personality

HH6644hh

Dec 5, 2016
Recently we have been experience a third "phantom" person who my Mother is telling me is instructing her to do things. Last night while peeling off 3 layers of clothes, "she" told her to put on, we had a tug of war with her bra just trying to get ready for bed and into a nightgown. After swatting me, Mom looked at me and said "she said so and that I didn't know what I was doing" her explanation as to why she needed to hold on to her bra.

We are five years into the diagnosis of dementia and for the most part I'm blessed with a passive personality but recent fixations.. insisting on going upstairs (where there is nothing she needs) obessions with putting on every piece of clothing in view, as many as 5 shirts, are increasing. When questioned a "new person" has developed as the reason for the irrational behavior.

Anyone else see this?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Had this with my mum and the other person is usually me, I used to tell mum not to worry the other person has changed her mind. Multiple clothes still going on here, but a while ago I started removing clothes out of her sight and only leave the ones I wanted her to wear, it is not as bad now, but she does occasionally come out of my bedroom with extra trousers etc - all mine.

HH6644hh

Dec 5, 2016
Thanks, clearing out the closet was initially my thought, but the 'closet' and her clothes is the only "activity" she does on her own at this stage.... never had hobbies, can't follow TV anymore. Interesting the other person is me?? Actually have been anticipating this as my caregiver when I have to work outside of the home and I are both blond. She must have felt getting dressed for bed was the same as getting dressed for the day now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have not cleared out her closet or wardrobe, she no longer rummages in these.I just stopped leaving her clothes on a chair in the bedroom and I try to keep the airing cupboard empty and any clothes drying in the house, anything just hanging around like shoes, slippers coats etc she will just put them on. Like you, I view this as an activity and doing no harm but she does occasionally look like The Michellin Man.