Spelling.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I don't know if its the weather or the fact I have just noticed but when my mum gets slightly agitated she starts to spell words, but ones that don't spell anything or mean anything, they probably do to mum but to me I haven't a clue and when I ask she doesn't know what they mean or why she is spelling? Should I be worried or just let it go as another dimension to the Alzheimer's (I will check her urine just incase its a UTI doing this).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's two years now since my mum died but that rings a bell with me. I seem to remember she developed a habit of spelling words out loud but they were real words. She almost always had a UTI. Not sure about nonsense words though.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum hasn't quite got around to spelling out loud just under her breath or loud enough for you to hear it, sorry to hear your mum did it, but in a way i'm glad someone else did it and not just my mum! Will definitely check her urine.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good move. It got to the point with my mum that the GP just believed me when I phoned and said UTI. I got to the stage I could recognise it without even the dip test. Just thinking. She died 2 years ago on 13th. I remember we had sunny weather then too.

Bill is now getting these blasted UTIs. At least I know what I'm looking for! He doesn't spell things but he reads out every car number plate we walk past! That's not an infection - just annoying!!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I checked mums urine, she has a slight infection so have phoned down for Trimethoprim, like you my Dr doesn't doubt me when I say she has an infection. I am hoping the 'spelling' is down to the UTI and not anything else.

Number plate reading does sound annoying, mum has started counting the riders in the Tour de France not all the time just when there is a break away in the peloton.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Interesting post

As I mentioned before so many subjects on here I've come accross. At a NH:

"There were a number of ladies trying to wiggle out of Dementa through having nothing to pass God's good time. In a room across the corridor from Jean one lady could be heard loudly repeat letters that one might discern formed her address. The sing song sounds were reminisent of a time when children were trained to unthinkingly repeat letters to form words. The method was referred to as being 'taught' by rote."

Extract from my story.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
When mum first started spelling (not long ago) I thought it was just from doing her wordsearches, as she would spell the word as she was looking for it until she found it and then moved onto the next one, I am just hoping its something that will pass.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I checked mums urine, she has a slight infection so have phoned down for Trimethoprim, like you my Dr doesn't doubt me when I say she has an infection. I am hoping the 'spelling' is down to the UTI and not anything else.

Number plate reading does sound annoying, mum has started counting the riders in the Tour de France not all the time just when there is a break away in the peloton.

I hope you get your mum's UTI sorted out.

I think I should be pleased that Bill can still read the number plates now that I think of it.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thankfully mil is not spelling words nor reading every number plate. I think that would drive me nuts :eek:

Maybe I will have that to come

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Allen my husband reads things on doors, notices, menus. leaflets and beer mats, over and over again when we are out, each time he reads them as though he is spelling them out for the first time, even if it's the 50th, I had a laundry bag that I left outside our son's bedroom door which is just opposite to where he sits in the living room, that had LAUNDRY written on if he read it once L AU ND RY he read it a dozen times in 5 minutes, I had to get up and move it before i stuck it on his head :rolleyes:
If he gets a letter he looks at it puts it back in the envelope then takes it straight out and does the same again over and over as if it's the first time he has read it until i take it off him,
Sorry this isn't helping you i just thought i would tell you :)
Jeany x

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's like everything else 1954. Something drives me nuts then it becomes the norm. I just have to remind myself how lucky I am that I still have my husband here with me. Although we read a lot of number plates at least we're out holding hands and walking. Long may that last.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I suppose its annoying more than anything, I don't know whether mum is trying to tell me something or its just her mechanism for coping when she gets slightly agitated I just don't know, will go with the fact its a UTI brewing and see what happens.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
It could be when she is agitated as i sometimes talk to myself when i am upset or trying to work things out, but I would let her have a test for a UTI as they are awful things and can cause all kinds of problems ,

best wishes Jeany x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Oh Izzy that's so lovely

It's like everything else 1954. Something drives me nuts then it becomes the norm. I just have to remind myself how lucky I am that I still have my husband here with me. Although we read a lot of number plates at least we're out holding hands and walking. Long may that last.

xx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
on if he read it once L AU ND RY he read it a dozen times in 5 minutes, I had to get up and move it before i stuck it on his head

My first laugh of the day :D:D:D:D:D

I am sorry to laugh at your distress but it's soooooooo funny :D:D:D:D:D