SPECT Scan

Tom21

Nov 12, 2018
Hello. Recently I had a SPECT scan done that showed various abnormalities. I wanted to know if anyone else could share their SPECT results here so I can compare? Thanks.

Last edited:

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
Hello @Tom21 , my husband had one of these scans a couple of years ago. The consultant explained that CT and MRI looked at the 'road map' of the brain, but SPECT looked 'at the traffic on the roads'... the consultant actually came to our home when the results came in, my husband had areas of damage that showed on SPECT, even though his other scans had been clear. He was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment.
We have been told it is not dementia, but clearly there is something wrong. We are still uncertain what it is, but have an appointment with yet another neurologist on 15th November.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
What is a Spect scan? A research doctor was talking on a 'breakthrough' something to do with an intense pulse in the neck. Questioned she admitted it can be because of too high or too low BP.
Then it appears it could be a early sign....of possible future dementia. Too many ifs and buts for me.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
What is a Spect scan? A research doctor was talking on a 'breakthrough' something to do with an intense pulse in the neck. Questioned she admitted it can be because of too high or too low BP.
Then it appears it could be a early sign....of possible future dementia. Too many ifs and buts for me.
It’s a nuclear imaging scan, which gives a deep 3D image of the brain, or other organs, and is somewhat similar to a PET scan, which does the same but in a different way.

My wife was diagnosed after a PET scan showed brain shrinkage that hadn’t shown up on her earlier CT and MRI tests.

I believe it isn’t always offered and that cost may be the deciding factor in that as they are a lot more expensive than CT or MRI.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
It’s a nuclear imaging scan, which gives a deep 3D image of the brain, or other organs, and is somewhat similar to a PET scan, which does the same but in a different way.

My wife was diagnosed after a PET scan showed brain shrinkage that hadn’t shown up on her earlier CT and MRI tests.

I believe it isn’t always offered and that cost may be the deciding factor in that as they are a lot more expensive than CT or MRI.
Thanks, hope all is going well for you, by well I mean bearable!

Tom21

Nov 12, 2018
Hello @Tom21 , my husband had one of these scans a couple of years ago. The consultant explained that CT and MRI looked at the 'road map' of the brain, but SPECT looked 'at the traffic on the roads'... the consultant actually came to our home when the results came in, my husband had areas of damage that showed on SPECT, even though his other scans had been clear. He was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment.
We have been told it is not dementia, but clearly there is something wrong. We are still uncertain what it is, but have an appointment with yet another neurologist on 15th November.
Is it possible that you could share the findings themselves with me?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Tom21
I appreciate that you want to know as much as possible about your situation, maybe you could go back to your GP and consultant to ask them to discuss the scan in more detail
I'm not sure it's appropriate or fair on other members to ask them to share such personal medical information, as this is a forum open to public view