sorry... Another question

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
hi again. Does anyone here have a relative with parkinsons disease? Grandad's got an appointment, on friday, with a neurologist to investigate a tremor in his hands, as possible parkinsons. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of this kind of appointment, and knows what i should expect. I'm taking grandad on my own, he's got early to moderate AD. Is there anything in particular i should look out for? I know this is not really a dementia question but you all seem so knowledgeable and i've been told that dementia and parkinsons are often related. Sorry if this shouldn't have been posted on here. Sally x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can`t answer your questions Sally as I have no knowledge about Parkinson`s or any relationship between Parkinson`s and Alzheimer`s.

But I just want to tell you never to feel the need to apologize for anything you wish to discuss on TP. You are a carer for someone with dementia and everything is relevant to that.

I do hope someone will be able to answer your questions before the next appointment.

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
Another question

Hi Sally, my husband has Parkinsons disease with dementia and he doesn't tremor all that much. When John was first diagnosed at the age of 58 the Doctor was quite blunt. After a couple of minor tests like watching him walk into the room then whilst laying on the bed moving his arms, legs, hands and wrists around and relating to his scans, blood tests etc., he then said he was confident that it was PD and explained that he would be weaned onto a drug. At that time there was no talk about dementia, although I knew his memory was going, but never thought of mentioning it at this stage. I jsut thought after 50 we all get a little forgetful! We then agreed to see a colleague of the PD Doctor his who was doing a paper on genetics and family history and because it appears PD is running in his family, we agreed to see this other Doctor and it was during this consultation when he did some memory tests etc., then he mentioned Lewy body dementia. Both Doctors told us about the support network of the Parkinsons Society who are wonderful. It was two years later when my hubby was officially diagnosed with Dementia and then we were referred also to the Alzheimers support network who have been so so supportive. It's funny, I can cope with his PD, but have more difficulty with the dementia and without this support I don't know how I would cope. You are right in contacting TP, they are very supportive and friendly.
I do hope everything goes well for you today.
June x

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Hi Sally, good luck on Friday, I think it's just positive that the neurologist is involved and checking it out. I've no direct experience with Parkinsons but there is a wealth of information out there. My friends Mum had Parkinsons from when we were 16.
Let us know how it all goes,
Jane
x
Ps - I've PM'd you back x

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

my grandad had PD, and my dad has it now (for 7 years diagnosed). The neuro appointment seems to comprise a chat, and then a physical assessment (they look at walking - usually PD patients walk with their hands rigid, not swinging) , then another chat.

It is worth asking at the hospital/neuro dept if there is Parkinsons Nurse support in the area. The PD nurses can be a lifesaver - they will come out to help and advise if there are drug issues (they can prescibe and alter doses) or other assistance needed - e.g. my dad's PD nurse has helped with getting advice to apply for Attendance Allowance, and dad is also going to have speech and language therapy - all sorted by the nurse. The PD support varies by area - my grandfather's one would also do the type of Blood Pressure and blood taking that a GP would do, so it is worth finding out.

good luck - PM if you need any more info, or are worried about anything

e

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Hmmm...

Once again, thank you all so much for your replies. It certainly has given me something to think about. I didn't know anything about lewy body dementia. I've had a bit of a read up on it and it has made me wonder more about the 2 being linked. I always just assumed that the 2 were seperate issues. Grandad doesn't fit all the typical characteristics of either. He doesn't suffer hallucinations or fainting, but he does definately shuffle when he walks. He also doesn't move his arms much when he walks. He does show some facial expressions, but doesn't have a very expressive face. His hand tremors tend to be when he's trying to hold something, such as a cup or plate etc. Now i don't know what to think. It's certainly made me realise we need to ask more questions about it at the appointment on friday. I kind of wish my dad was coming with me now. He normally takes time off for "alzheimers" appointments, and i deal with the other stuff. I'm starting to think that friday may well be more involved than i had imagined :confused:. Everyone on here is always so welcoming and friendly. I only hope that one day i'm in a position to help others more. I really don't know what i would have done sometimes without TP. Love sal x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My husband has Lewy Body Disease which is a form of Parkinsons and dementia. He was diagnosed pretty much as one of your other posters has described. My husband had been shuffling his feet for a long time but never in a million years had I suspected anything like Parkinsons disease.

The only thing I would comment on with LBD is that certain, older type medication such as Haloperidol which is a tranquiliser type drug can have very serious side effects for anyone who has PD. He has been on Excelon for many years now and the newer antididepressant/tranquiliser type drugs without any side effects.

xxTinaT